bergs21

Cladding or render to front of bungelow conversion?

Tim
6 years ago

Hi All - first post here so hopefully in the right area!

We are just embarking on our first major project - converting and extending our three bed bungalow to create and additional two bedrooms and chalet gable fronted look.

Where the architect initially draw the plans, he had cedar cladding on the gable end for the top floor - we've subsequently changed the design a little to add a garage onto the side.

Below is my (very) crude drawing of what the overall shape will look like - the dilemma is whether to have horizontal cladding on the gable end or have it all smooth rendered?

Two things concern me with horizontal cladding:

1) it may visually 'stretch' what is already a very wide frontage

2) i've heard that the tannins leach our of the wood over time - so if you have painted/rendered ares underneath these are often stained.

but will just off white render be a little plain over the relatively large area?

Architect is pretty old school, and hand draws still - so i've not got a sketch up model to play around with and i have the fear about whichever one we go for we'll think ' aw -wish we'd done XXXX...' which is the reason for seeking the counsel of you good people as a third opinion!

Here is his elevation sketch - with the cladding in place - what we're struggling with is visualizing how it will actually look in the flesh.

We are going for a modern look with new slate roof and anthracite alu-clad windows & have something akin to the below in mind as a 'look' we are trying to achieve:

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.