jennifer_persaud38

DINING ROOM DECOR: Blush/Gold/Marble - GLAM!

SPROUT117
6 years ago

Hi Everyone! I'm in the process of putting together my dining room and I need some major help (and photoshop skills anyone)! Below is the original inspiration for my look (blush/gold/marble and GLAM):

My space looks like this (everything in the room including the light fixture/furniture/box

will be removed):

These are the items which I've purchased:

I would definitely like to add this light, but I'm open to suggestions. Also adding a gold bar cart (not shown) :

Now here's the hard part. Host/Hostess chairs.

I want something that really contrasts the blush with color but if I get a print or something classy with grey that is also fine. Below are my "loves"

A. Two Tone

B. Print/Solid/Texture

Mix

C. A totally unrelated color that can be tied in with the rug - something like blue or orange or a deeper pink. This would be in a different chair shape. I love the mismatched look best but I need to carry it off right and I dont want to take away from the classiness (but I want my style to shine through).

This is the adjoining room (haven't picked a table yet).

Will post art that I like on a later post.

Thanks for help in advance!! Can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

Jennifer

Comments (49)

• SPROUT117
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm looking for something very bright (my current lights are super bright). Would this drum be bright? Also, the table is 72" - 96 when expanded - how many of these light fixtures would I need?

• Related Discussions

Not sure how best to Accessorise my room

Q

Comments (27)
    Laura Ashley sells a round mirror a bit like the one in your photo which would look good. I think it may look better if you moved the clock to a different wall, otherwise it might look like you are trying to match the clock on the second chimney breast. Have other art work on the walls would help detract from wonky levels too. The room looks lovely btw!
    ...See More

I know this CAN be a fabulous room ... I just lost my way a little

Q

Comments (660)
    So funny! I'm planning to paint the bannister at the new house (TNH) black and am veering towards painting the treads and risers black too... I've been searching for images of black staircases on Houzz and putting them in my entrance hall ideabook. They are few and far between. In your case, I think, with your white walls, maybe the stairs white and the bannister black? (Assuming the white walls continue up the stair walls enabling the b/w contrast.) You've already put black firmly into the equation, adding some more may give more reason for the black rad cab. In my case, there is a very off-centre radiator that could so very easily have been directly opposite the front door in TNH which is rather annoying as it stuffs up the focal point. We are leaving here with every radiator covered with a cabinet - and going to TNH that has loads of radiators ...but no cabinets! Yes, the work ahead is daunting - especially since the area of Ireland we're going to is very basic and not full of DIY resources, etc. I keep thinking I'll paint TNH white - to make things simpler(!) But try as I may colour keeps wandering through my mind! Lovely to be in touch again!
    ...See More

Furniture and decor shopping in the UK?

Q

Comments (61)
    @Nekul I have to be honest, the answer to my dilemma was: I stopped shopping haha I genuinely have bought very little since making this post, simply because I couldn't find what I'm after. The most likely places for me to spot the odd piece I like are Sweetpea & Willow (not exactly affordable), Swoon and Rockett St George. I occasionally buy from Maisons Du Monde or La Redoute but both don't offer value for money (or a great shopping experience - items lost in transit or arriving damaged). I did stumble across J N Rusticus, though, which - if that's your style - I can highly recommend. My all-time favourite is still the US based CB2 which do ship internationally but not all items and only if you spend a minimum of $5000....
    ...See More

HELP!! Decor ideas for kitchen/diner

Q

Comments (4)
    First of all your room is lovely and I'm reluctant to suggest anything, as I love walnut and I love walnut with white. I can see that you would like to get a softer effect however, and I think you can do this with a relatively small amount of effort. First off - do you want to embrace the darkness of the dining area? If you want a clear separation between the two spaces you can achieve this by painting the dining area a different colour, which will have the effect of shortening the long appearance of the room and making the dining area more intimate and cosy. If this is your only eating space, though, you might find a dark colour a little oppressive during the day (personally I'd love it - my living room is dark green!). I wouldn't use a patterned wall paper in this space, as I'm struggling to decide which wall I would use as a feature wall. Papering a side wall might bring pull it in visually and make the space seem longer and narrower. Colour-wise I love indigo and brass/gold with walnut and a dark, blue-based colour will make the room seem intimate and expansive at the same time. Sometimes the wall with an extractor recess above a hob can look nice in a feature colour, but I can't really see yours from your photo. BUT you could pretty much leave the decor intact and bring some colour and texture in with soft furnishings and accessories. I like your blinds, perhaps you can soften them and add a feature at the dining room end by adding floor length curtains? Maybe just fixed for show. You could stand your dining suite on a flat weave rug and add a large mirror to one wall to reflect the light around the room. Curtains and/or rug would allow you to use some pattern. Alternatively swap out your blinds for softer looking fabric roman blinds. Add the odd accessory with warm metals or bright colour. Suggestion above. Hope this helps a bit :)
    ...See More
  • User
    6 years ago

Do the same ones come in navy?

• er612
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

Almost anything will supply more light than the starburst lights.

Are you AU?

• lascatx
    6 years ago

Part of what I like in your inspiration is a simplicity in concept (if not the flourish). I think the idea of host/hostess chairs conflicts with that. If you really, really want something different, I would try to use the same fabric and color, keep the same basic shape but add some detail to it.

I like the drum fixture and would look for a round gold or brass coffee table if you want to carry the idea into the next room. There are some with marble tops and others with glass or stone -- some that are nesting. I would also like a crystal fixture.

• er612
    6 years ago

• SPROUT117
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@BeverlyFLADeziner: Any other more glamour option than the drum? I like the gold and wow design on the starburst but also appreciate that you advised on the low light level from them.

@er612: Thank you for the pics. I cannot change the table as I've already purchased.

@lascatx: agreed - i'm so torn between the beauty in simplicity and then going over the top with something that really stands out. Then again, pink chairs kind of speak for themselves and the table is really a statement piece. What do you think of the gray chairs listed (I'm thinking of a gray rug) or maybe the cream color script chair shown above - the blush chair comes with both options. OR what do you think of adding a color to the backs of the same chair for the host and hostess? Maybe a darker pink?

I have another post regarding the table in the next room, it's called Coffee Table Advice. If you have time, take a look at the options from me and others on the site and let me know what you like.[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/coffee-table-advice-dsvw-vd~5112720[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/coffee-table-advice-dsvw-vd~5112720)

@pennydesign - yes, they do. I wouldn't go full navy blue, but what do you think about a white front and a navy blue printed back?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

• PRO
    Vero Interiors, LLC
    6 years ago

Love the idea! Please don't buy anything off the street, it's so overpriced for the quality you get. If HomeGoods doesn't have what you're looking for, I have tons of vendors that sells styles you're looking for at affordable price. Check out: New Pacific Direct or Ollix. TOV Furniture has style you're looking for as well. We get these at wholesale if you're interested. If you can't view website (bc they're to the trade only) I can help if you're interested. Good luck!

-Liv.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Empty room for er612:

• SPROUT117
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @vero interiors... I have already bought the blush chairs and table. What do you suggest for other items? I see a lot on the sites mentioned but the styles are very generic.
  • lascatx
    6 years ago

I'm going to back up -- what is it you really want for this room? Your inspiration is really a clean and simple design -- a bit understated, classic lines in not so classic colors, with a froufrou table setting. White, white walls and cabinets with what appears to be a dark gray and white kitchen in the background. Take away the centerpieces on the table and the flowers on the kitchen island and it's really all very clean and simple but with carefully edited details. Do you plan to paint the walls? Are you trying to tie in the LR a bit? I'm starting to feel like you just liked the idea of pink chairs. Even your table is quite different -- wood tone base, more rustic and a much thinner top -- moves away from the glam. Are you really after something bold and very different?

Bev, like your first 2 fixtures -- maybe the third, but I would like a single level ring (or rectangle) in the room I was picturing.

or something like this. The raindrops are fun. Have you seen the light from that one?

• SPROUT117
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@lascatx - you are 100% correct about the inspiration, clean lines, and a certain level of delicacy with the glam side of it. I see now that adding the host chairs would take away from the look and I'm not really trying to go so bold. I do want to try to tie in the LR just a bit but without a real commitment (maybe through a piece of art or maybe just having the velvet couch and velvet chairs and wood are enough, not sure). Thanks for refocusing me, going through houzz kind of makes me lose focus sometimes.

As far as the walls go, they are staying white. The reason for the marble table with wood legs was to tie in the floor and the LR. As far as lighting goes, my original ideas were a bit out there. (@BeverlyFLADeziner - thanks for bringing in the drum light).

So now that this is narrowed down, we are keeping the blush chairs, marble table, and not doing host/hostess chairs - I have to figure out a rug and lighting.

What do you think of these options for lighting @BeverlyFLADesziner - please weigh in here):

Option1: love because it matches my china and keeps the clean lines. The drum lighting idea was a good one

Option2: I like the florals and the gentleness of these lights. Not sure if they will be bright enough.

Option3: IF I want to add a crystal element, but maybe my least favorite unless i find an option.

Also, what kind of rug would go under this table? I've kind of abandoned the whole grey idea but I can't do white as it would be messy under a dining room table. Ideas?

Thank you!

• lascatx
    6 years ago

Editing is the hard part, especially when it's your room and you've been gathering ideas for things you like. They won't all fit in one room or even one house. When I was doing my kitchen, I felt like I needed at least half a dozen kitchens for all the things I liked.

You have the grey in the marble table top, so you could look that direction for the rug. Found this one that might work and look like a grey tile -- but don't go too small. Just noticed that the pattern reflects the pattern in the first drum light with the gold --- maybe look at those together.

This one is lighter

Machine Made Rhomb Lattice Floral Vintage Rug, Silver, 7'10"x10'10" · More Info

I have also looked at some distressed Orientals with soft pinks, but they seem to be too baby pink or berry pink and you need that warmer blush tone. I found one solid that seemed pretty close to the color of the chairs, but that seemed to take away from the chairs -- so a grey textural look seems to be the way I am leaning -- tie in with your marble and set off the chairs against them.

Need to take a break -- will come back and look at lighting some more. What is your china pattern?

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    6 years ago

If you can budget and find a way to get that EXACT look.. that would be FAB!

• lascatx
    6 years ago

I think she's made it pretty clear that she isn't changing the table or chairs she already bought and pretty sure she's not going to rip out wood floors to put in marble --- and then the room wouldn't with the rest of the house. Reality sets in. And where's the fun in an EXACT copy of someone else's room. It's an inspiration.

Jennifer, I am liking a simpler fixture better than the first one. Do you like this type? There are many variations in size, shape and type of crystal?

Crystal Halo Chandelier Modern/Contemporary Lighting Floating Orb Chandelier · More Info

5-Light Chandelier, Natural Brass · More Info

Crystal Spiridon Ring Chandelier Modern/Contemporary Lighting Pendant · More Info

• SPROUT117
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@lascatx editing is so hard! Thanks for understanding.

I'm not sure that I'd be able to pull of a rug with any pinks/purples without clashing. I've been looking around and it seems almost impossible and doesn't look "clean" but I absolutely love and adore the gray rug which you pictured. I've been searching for that for the reason you said - it mirrors the marble.

Funny that you asked about the china pattern - that is why I chose for the first drum light (I have a bit of an obsession with quatrefoil). My china pattern is quatrefoil. I also have little quatrefoil accents throughout my home. Please see below for china.

The flatware is matte gold.

With that being said, do you now love the drum with this pattern for the room or is too matchy? I kind of like how it pulls the room together but I'm also warming up to your crystal suggestion (I like both of your options 2 and 3, but this drum really wins).

I also found this table which I was thinking might go nicely in the adjoining living room:

Unfortunately, this is kathy kuo home and they have discontinued this table. I also found one by regina andrew - also sold out. Any way that you can help me find this? Would it be too much? Please give me some options. (I see knock-offs of this table, but they have pointed quatrefoils and i like that the drum and table are both rounded).

What do you think of adding this in to pull everything together?

Your advice is soooo appreciated! And we are almost done.

Thank you!

• lascatx
    6 years ago

I've seen a similar table at Arhaus, but the design is a little different. That is actually what I first pictured there. If that is not in your price range, you might find another. Pier One also has something similar, though large circles rather than quatrefoil. I think something like that would definitely work. But don't keep beating that drum -- probably no more quatrefoils in those rooms.

I like the light fixture, but I keep going back and forth on it. I like it, then I wonder if it is too much gold -- then think maybe it is too casual. The other thing is that with all your clean, simple choices -- you can afford to have some bling. Your inspiration room doesn't really have a show stopper on it's own -- it's the centerpieces perfectly paired with the chairs and the quiet marble backdrop that makes it stunning. Will you deck out the table? Will you feel you need to in order to get the look you want? I wouldn't have that much on the table, so I'd probably opt for some bling on the fixture. I wound up with a crystal chandelier in both my DR and BR after swearing I did not want crystal -- and I love them both, so I might have a bias for crystal.

When I need to weed out my choices, I look at them together a few times and narrow it down to a few. Then I sleep on it and look at them again. If I still need to clear my head, I will put them away for a day or two and do totally unrelated things. Usually, when I come back after getting away from them, the choice is clear. If the quatrefoil is what makes your heart sing and you keep going back to it when you group everything together, then that is probably your choice.

Art you artistic at all? I'd be tempted to create a painting with all the perfect colors. But I'm crazy that way. LOL

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

Favorites of mine from HOUZZ.

EMILIO SPUTNIK STARBURST 6 LIGHT FLUSHMOUNT IN POLISHED NICKEL · More Info

Diamond Drum Pendant · More Info

Arteriors Rittenhouse 6-Light Small Chandelier · More Info

• PRO
    Keenlee, LLC
    6 years ago

Re: the art that you like, are these specific pieces you're considering or just examples that you stylistically like? If you can provide rough dimensions of the walls and either dimensions of these examples if you're considering them or a budget if you're not, we'd be happy to opine or provide some possibilities

• SPROUT117
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@lascatx - I agree that I keep going back and forth between "are these lights too casual/should I just do crystal" and "they are so pretty and understated/clean" which is what I want. I love the gold. With that being said, if I got this light, it's about 25" in diameter - how many would I put over the table (72" which extends to 96")?I kind of love this light and I do love it with my china. I'm thinking 1 would be fine...maybe 2?

On the other hand, in considering what you said about crystal....what do you think about this:

For the table decor, my china won't be out all the time (though I'd love it to) - so for most of the time it's going to have some vases or a centerpiece that holds a bunch of flowers, but I haven't really thought it through. On the fly, something like this:

Put more thought into that later...I hate waiting 3 months for this table. Either way, there are plenty of quatrefoil table accessories if I don't do the light (trays, vases, votive holders, etc).

I do keep going back to quatrefoil...but i don't want to overdo it!

I'll clear my head by tomorrow afternoon and probably message you about this if you don't mind.

And btw, that table is GORGEOUS but way out of budget. I'm usually artistic and a DIYer, but I have a newborn so for now my wings are clipped.

Will clear up options and come back.

You have been a great help. Thnx.

• lascatx
    6 years ago

See if you can email or message me. I may have a lead on a coffee table.

What table are you waiting 3 months for?

I came here to see if you looked at the Pier One coffee table. That one is a similar feel without the quatrefoils or their price tag.

I loved the sheer fabric drum and wanted one -- about 10 years ago. I'm kind of over them now. Still like some of them -- just wouldn't buy one. Same for spheres -- loved them until I saw too many of them. I just buy crystal I didn't think I wanted. LOL

If you love the rug, I'd order that and get the big things all in place. That will actually make it easier to see what you want for the light fixture. There's no rule that says you have to decide everything in 48 hours -- or any time.

• SPROUT117
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@lascatx - I'm waiting for the dining table. It's a Calligaris from Italy. I saw it in store and it gave me CHILLS...it's gorgeous. Through the pic it doesn't look show stopping but it is!

I've never done the drums - I've always liked but thought that they are more intimate like a bedroom status. I found some drums with crystals on here but they are not speaking to me. I might just have to wait for the table in order to really figure out the light.

I was just in Pier1 today and I saw this rug - it's very feminine and nicer than the pic but do you think it would be distracting? It felt very luxurious.

I'll figure out rug and then I think the light and art will happen after I get the table. I hope it comes in early.

Let me know what you think.

J

• lascatx
    6 years ago

I know that rug! I saw a round one when I was looking at rugs for our breakfast room -- a red one too. Thought they were both great ideas for the right rooms. Didn't work for me because I was going to put a round table with a solid center on top of it -- kind of destroys the effect. Which now begs the question whether your room is a right room. That rug has the most impact where a lot of it is open to view. I want to say yes, but I think the table over the center of the rug will kill the rug and the rug may take away from the rest of the room. BUT, where it would look great -- your LR with that blue sofa and a glass and brass coffee table just making a light footprint on the center area of the rug. Bt I like what you have now too.

ETA: I'm still conflicted about this one. Maybe you should just bring one home and try it -- even if they don't have the right size, seeing it in the space might help you know. In either room. You often have to try several rugs in the space to find the right one. I have returned my share and I suspect most of us have. Many folks here will order the smallest size to test a rug so that shipping and returning are easier but you can see the colors and pattern in the space, with your lighting and furnishings. I saw that Pier One has a grey tile pattern one too. Maybe try one of each. You will know pretty quickly if they are right or wrong. And Pier One makes it easy to return if there is a store near you.

SPROUT117 thanked lascatx
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

• SPROUT117
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@groveraxle - can you provide a link to that chandelier? I looooove....also, can you photoshop in the rose rug if you have time? I'm pretty sold on it. THANK YOUUUUU!

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

following

• lascatx
    6 years ago

You changed your name on us. Threw me there -- I thought someone was trying to copy your room. Imitation and flattery and all that, but still! I hope someone can photoshop it for you.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Dammit, SPROUT, you don't know how it screws me up when people change their user names. Please don't change it again or I'll never be able to find you. ;-)

Large Rectangle Hanging Capiz Chandelier - White | west elm · More Info

https://www.westelm.com/products/large-rectangle-hanging-capiz-pendant-white-w696/?pkey=cchandeliers

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

How about a Matisse to add a bit of an edge?

• SPROUT117
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @groveraxle mmmmm the Matisse! That’s the contrast I’m looking for ....something fun and beautiful. I was looking for it in the chairs but yes the wall is great and I really love that chandelier. If you have more art ideas please feel free to share.

Not 100% about the rug with table. I feel like I need to see it in person, but at least it’s not a boring rug.

Haha yes I changed my name...I thought it was under sprout all along!! Don’t worry, you can always find me!

Thnx for the help and all of the photoshopping, the room is really coming together.
  • SPROUT117
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    How do you guys feel about this rug as opposed to the rose rug? (The rose can always go in my bedroom)
    https://mobile-beta.westelm.com/products/stone-tile-rug-t3645

Also, I love the capiz shell light from west elm (thank you again @groveraxle) - but is the lack of gold taking away from the glam?
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

• er612
    6 years ago

I would hold off on the rug until your table arrives unless you find something you can't live without (with a decent return policy). I think painting the walls has a bigger impact and highlights, as opposed to competes with, the table.

• lascatx
    6 years ago

If you love the rug and can use it in the bedroom if it doesn't work with the table, I would hang onto it and try it. I think it is a maybe, but would be great in a MBR. Did you say there is a blush version (or was that a question whether there was one)?

I do like the idea of painting the walls but have avoided suggesting it since you said they will stay. I was thinking grey, but lighter -- pale to medium dove grey, or go white or an off white with a just a hint of a blush. But the darker grey really sets off your table and chairs. With that on the walls, I can see the lighter rug posted before the chandeliers and dishes -- 8:31 Tuesday. The softer pattern would play off the marble without competing (I would hope). The geometric design is going in the wrong direction -- strong lines where you want softness for this look. Since you weren't planning on painting, wait until the table arrives and you can look at things together. If you decide to paint, that is an easy room to do.

I do like the idea of some pink in the rug, but I haven't found anything that seems great. I can picture it, but don't know if it exists. If it does, I'm afraid it would be out of your price range and mine put together. The best way to get that color might be to find carpet and have it bound into a rug.

I like the Matisse idea -- and the fact that the one pictured pulls in a little blue from the LR. I could see Georgia O'Keefe in there too, but the ones I am picturing would not be edgy (florals and forms - no skulls in a DR please).

Can't wait til your table comes and you can start seeing it all together.

• SPROUT117
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@groveraxle - thank you for all of the photoshopped rugs, now I know I'm in love with my rose tufted rug :)

@er612 - with the room having no windows and my love for white walls with art, the grey would just be too much for me. However, I might be adding white wainscoting which comes from the adjoining room into this room. I love white/light - what do you guys think of the wainscoting idea?

@lascatx - yes, there is a blush version but i wouldn't really put it in my house. For the bedroom I would have loved the blue-ish version as it matches better but the grey also works so its pretty much a keeper.

Also, I was still browsing tables for the LR (I don't know why I'm so unsettled on this - it's not my usual self) and look at what I saw:

1) I still like circle tables better for the room even though they throw me out of my "angular" element (I think I'm going to make a final poll post when I narrow down the tables, I hate being so stuck with it).

2) LOOK AT THE PILLOWS!! I was looking to find them but so far no luck. If it's not lattice, it's roses...ugh

Pls me know what you think of the table and pillows..

RE: the walls - the reason that they are staying white besides my love for the white is that they share a wall with the living room - hence the wainscoting idea. Nothing intricate. What do you think ?

Agreed anything pink in the rug and done tastefully is very expensive and honestly, I don't know that the chairs will stay forever (I got a great deal on them) so I'm going to do neutral with the gray rug. I like to take risks but not too much.

RUG SIZE QUESTION: My room is 9 1/2' x 14' and the table is 70" x 40" (expanded it's 95" x 40") - what rug size ideal?

Yes - ironically the DR table is holding me up but the LR table is the last piece of my puzzle for that room.

Oh and for the lighting in the DR, Im down to:

(would I need two of this one - it's 14" - budget doesn't allow for two)

This is 40".

Just trying to keep the glam and gold, but with some simplicity and femininity - hard to do.

Thanks everyone!!

Jennifer

• lascatx
    6 years ago

I like all the light fixtures other than the small one you say you would need two of. Even with two. Do you think you would need two of the drum? With the length of your table, the rectangular ones might be nice and you definitely need only one. If it were my room, I would go with the first or last one of those. They have the softer glam of the inspiration room. The second one would take it more into a crisp or edgy style -- and that's okay, but it's not the direction you seem to be leaning with the rug and pillows. See if you can read reviews on those two and even look for photos of them lit. Differences in dust clinging or being too shadowy might favor one over the other.

The coffee table would definitely work in your LR -- and didn't you say you wanted a shelf? This one has two. The round one you like has no shelf, and the ones that are plain circles that do have shelves don't hold up to your style. They are fine, but in your room I think they would be boring. The table needs something to give it enough personality to hold up in that room. It doesn't need to be bold or take center stage, but it needs to stand up on its own.

I like the fact that this one has rounded corners -- easier on little ones who tend to bump them when they are learning to walk and run, playing, etc. Compare the sizes. The round can help open up a tight space, but the one I found was the smaller one. Is it too small for your room? Do you plan to have any kind of table between the chairs? If not, I think you need a larger rectangle for the coffee table so that a person sitting in one of the chairs has a place to set down a drink, a phone -- whatever. Which leads me to the idea that you might use a rectangle for your coffee table and a round one between the two chairs.

Gotta run for a bit.... will check back later.

SPROUT117 thanked lascatx
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

You need an 8 x 10' rug in the dining room.

SPROUT117 thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

With wainscot:

(In half the room. I got lazy.)

• SPROUT117
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Good - 8x10 is what I ordered! Thnx. Hmmmm, the wainscoting doesn't look that great. Mine is a bit squarer and looks fab in the LR but kind of takes something away from my DR - agreed?

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

I went back and looked at your living room and didn't see any wainscoting.

• SPROUT117
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The wall which you are placing the art on in the DR is shared with the wall behind the console in the LR - it's all one big wall...need a pic? (There are boxes everywhere at the moment). We were entertaining the thought of wainscoting because i love white walls but need something else.

• lascatx
    6 years ago

I would not add wainscoting with your decor. Your decor goes to the transitional/contemporary and the wainscoting would be decidedly traditional -- old school, classic. I lean a bit eclectic, so I'm not opposed to mixing things, but it isn't something I would add for either of your rooms. I think what is missing is art on the walls and maybe a little accessorizing/editing.

The other idea I had was doing a tone on tone treatment on the walls -- though it works best with little or no texture on the walls. Basically, you stencil on a design and create a wallpaper like design. I've seen it done with nothing more than a clear gloss so that you have the same color on the entire wall with the pattern created by a difference in sheen. A satin gloss finish would create a more subtle pattern than a gloss. Could you picture that -- maybe a subtle quatrefoil patttern? I can't add a link for some reason, but maybe this will work. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/327848047858113311/

• Madison Rupard
    6 years ago

I like the Rose Rug!

SPROUT117 thanked Madison Rupard
  • SPROUT117
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@lascatx - the subtle quatrefoil patter would be awesome...how much harder than the picture frame (easy) wainscoting do you think this would be to do?

• lascatx
    6 years ago

Stenciling is not hard, but you should practice on a test board to get the look right. And then plan how the pattern will fit on the wall, measure, check everything and then take your time. If you use the same color as you wall paint in a higher sheen, you can paint over a mistake. If you use a clear finish, you may need to do a little more work to cover any mistakes or repaint later. More on the tedious side than difficult for a single color, simple design.

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.