hazel_kindley

Help with layout and furniture placement in kitchen/diner/family room

Hazel Kindley
6 years ago

Hi all, we are currently considering replacing our conservatory (too hot in summer and cold in winter) with a small extension to allow us to remove the sliding doors between it and the kitchen/diner. This would give us a large L shaped kitchen/diner/family room, however I am struggling to work out the best layout for furniture. We want to fit in a 6 seater dining table, a 3 seater sofa with space for kids to play in front of it and also (don't judge us!) a TV. I'm currently leaning towards an L shaped sofa in the current dining space, and moving the dining table into the new extension. But then would it be strange to walk through a lounge bit to get to dining?

We are also a bit stuck about whether to open up the space completely or to save some cash and just keep the current opening where the sliding doors currently are, meaning that no structural work or steels would be needed. The sliding door opening isn't the full width of the room though, more like 2.75m wide. I have coloured these in yellow on the picture below. Do you think that this would ruin the room?

We also need to decide on where to put external doors. The conservatory currently opens out to the right hand side next to the kitchen, but I think the view would be better being along the back wall (the bit labelled 3500). If money was no object then I would love corner bifolds but alas the budget will definitely not stretch that far!

Please ignore the poor quality of the sketch, but we are just at the beginning of this project and so don't have proper plans yet.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.