minipie

Island extractor - flush to ceiling vs downdraft?

minipie

We're planning a large open plan kitchen/living room (7.3m x 8.8m at its biggest) and would like a gas hob on the island. Trying to decide what sort of extraction is best for us and would appreciate some views, especially from kitchen pros.

The ceiling above the hob will be 2.8m high, although there will be a section of the room (sitting area) which is 3.1m high. We will have an opening skylight near the hob, as well as various other bits of glass. The kitchen area will be mostly within a new flat roofed extension so we should have plenty of options in terms of ducting, external motor etc, if we plan it in now.

I'd prefer to avoid a hanging box from the ceiling, so if we have a ceiling extractor it would probably be at 2.8m (though the max recommended height seems to be about 2.4 or 2.5m). I have seen a ceiling extractor at 2.8m in a friend's house and it seems to work fine.

I've read that downdrafts are not as effective as ceiling, however there seems to have been improvement recently? Perhaps a downdraft would be better than a ceiling mounted extractor at 2.8m?

Are downdrafts compatible with gas or will they just suck the flame sideways? I've read good things about Bora but not sure if they offer a gas option?

Thanks for any thoughts. Not the most exciting topic but makes a big difference to day to day life!