juliette_adams_9

Side return layout

J A
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are thinking of doing a side return next summer and the outline drawings are with planning at the moment. The main constraint for us is that our garden is small but SW facing and the existing outrigger is only 5m in length and our victorian terrace is narrow [4.8m wide by 6m post extension].

We want the normal things more light into our dark kitchen and a downstairs loo. We also want a broken plan / ie 2 entrances into the kitchen with doors. We have have laundry / utility upstairs so we don't need space for that, but we do have a large megaflo tank, pump, and boiler all in the kitchen eating up cupboard space.

Additionally because our garden is so small we have outdoor cupboard rather than a proper shed and we have very limited storage throughout the house so the under stair cupboards and cupboards in the kitchen are vital to keep things under control. We want an island and I want a run of units on both sides and space for visitors [but mainly me] to watch my husband cooking up a storm but not getting in his way.

I guess my question is - is it a terrible idea to do a side return to make the kitchen larger but not actually create the ever popular eat in kitchen diner with the table + bench down one side?

Our lounge diner works very well at the moment and I like the layout in there. I have looked on rightmove / pinterest / houzz and either all the extensions are vast or completely open plan so having the table in the kitchen doesn't compromise on storage - I am starting to doubt myself...

I have attached the indicative drawings that went to the planners showing an island plus table

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.