webuser_71660

underfloor heating or infrared ceiling panels??

Tani H-S
5 years ago

Morning All,

given the go ahead for our house renovation now to start after months of waiting/planning (eek) so I'm trying to narrow down some aspects we hadn't finalised.

Originally we decided to go for underfloor heating in the new extension (8m x 4.2m kitchen diner) which would be open plan L shape with our large lounge. The lounge has original floorboards so it wouldn't have the same u/floor heating in there but has a wood burner.

However pricing is coming in around £2.5-3k for the u/f heating so we were looking at alternative ie the infra red electric panels that both the builder and the architect highly recommended. Benefits being they are cheaper than u/f heating (would need just 3 panels in the kitchen @£145 each) and 1-2 in the living area. Although they are electric, they use up less energy and heat the surface (so the floor, furniture, you) rather than the air. nice heat and can be hidden on the ceiling and as pictures so they don't take up wall space. Oh also controllable.

They sound great but I wanted to ask if anyone has had them and what you think about them?

We were going to re-use some rads anyway as a backup but will have a good output wood burner which should heat up the whole of the area in Winter anyway....

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.