amylondonhouse

Furniture layout help in odd-shaped rooms. Diagonal walls.

amylondonhouse
5 years ago

Hi all. Just bought our first home. It's a Victorian pub conversion in London. Currently it's a 3 bed with a kitchen/living room, but we're arranging the rooms so the master bedroom becomes the living room, and the kitchen/living room becomes a kitchen-diner. It's just myself and my partner so we don't need 3 bedrooms, and I don't feel the kitchen is large enough to be both that and a living room!

My problem is on how best to use the space in the kitchen and the living room. They are on top of one another so have similar layouts, with a huge diagonal wall cutting across both. The kitchen is a little easier because of where the door is, but the living room (floorplan listed as Bedroom 2) is proving a problem. I'm struggling with how to deal with the space on the left as you walk in (floor plan should demonstrate this).

I've included the pictures from the estate agent, the floor plan and a mock-up 3D model I've made just to get some ideas. The only things really wanted are a dining table for 6 in the kitchen and a small movable island (Ikea type thing). I'm very open to suggestions in the living room, I feel like no fireplace stops it having a focal point.

As well as furniture layout I'd more than welcome any input into general design. I really like dark walls in the living room, and industrial, maybe Scandinavian, in the kitchen. The flooring and kitchen cabinets are something we will replace in the future, but not at this point. Thank you for any help at all, I'm not very good with design and appreciate any and all help I can get.

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.