susanna_kalitowski

Dining chairs - advice needed

My husband I are struggling to find the right dining chairs to go around an antique, rectangular dark oak farmhouse-style dining table.

We’re looking for chairs with an armrest that are comfortable AND durable, as we have a 4 & 7 year old. We’re a bit wary of veneered chairs as they can chip/scratch/stain easily.

Over the table we have a black Vertigo pendant (see picture below). Nearby are some large sliding doors with a narrow black grey frame. Our house is Edwardian, with very high ceilings. The floors are medium oak herringbone parquet.

Our preference is the CH88 chair (pictured), but it is very expensive and we are worried it could be easily damaged by our kids. We don’t want to have to worry about our chairs!

So now we’ve narrowed it down to two very different options: the Belleville armchair by Vitra (pictured) OR the J42 armchair in oiled oak (pictured).

I’d really appreciate thoughts/advice on whether black or partly black chairs would be preferable (to coordinate with the pendant and doors), and/or how medium oak chairs would look with a dark oak table, against a medium oak floor.

Any other chair suggestions would also be welcome. We’re not keen on anything with a solid back (eg Eames side chair), as we want a degree of transparency to echo the pendant.

TIA! :-)

Comments (21)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.