jennykathrynsmith

Windows! Under-cabinet ones in kitchen? Do I need side ones in snug?

Jenny Smith
5 years ago

We're getting close now to submitting our plans for planning approval and we're stuck on the windows.

Does anyone have experience of under-cabinet kitchen windows? Like these:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/innis-arden-remodel-contemporary-kitchen-seattle-phvw-vp~110655

We like how they look, but our plan drawer was concerned at two things - where sockets would go, and what they would look like from outside the house. I'm also a little concerned at keeping them clean, though we wouldn't have them directly behind the hob.

Our second windows issue is whether to add a window into the west side of the house in the planned snug room within the extension. It will have patio doors to the South so we're not sure if we want an extra window in the side. Possible either a high up short but wide shape (above bookshelves) or a thin long window could work, what do the Houzzers think? We think putting a standard window in there would probably not be good as we then couldn't fit in our tall bookshelves and other furniture as easily.

Proposed floorplan so you can see the snug (west side for contentious window decision is on the right side of the plan as you look at it):

West side elevation:

By the way, thanks so much for posting on my previous thread a month or so ago, @Jen P @jenny-prouten @Emily @ejcw99 @Jonathan @jonathandb1972 @julesrbennett @1sandyh and the rest :-) I'll try and put a link to this thread onto that one!

Any other comments on the overall floorplan proposals are welcome! Ground floor as posted above, first floor and elevations are as follows:

(And after we get planning and start building we will do a stud wall in the garage to make a train room! (after planning gained as architect technician tells us more likely to go through planning if not TOO many new rooms). Proposed train room is as per this sketch:)

Yes definitely go for the undercabinet kitchen windows
Nope, kitchen undercabinets will be annoying and impractical or not look good
Yep add a window to west side of the snug (high up short and wide)
Yep add a window to the west side of the snug (tall and narrow)
Yep add a window to the west side of the snug (standard size)
Nope don't add a window to the west side of the snug - it will be light enough without it and only add cost and annoyance when fitting in furniture

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.