webuser_235800664

Two-tone kitchen or one colour?

Aisling
3 years ago

Hi, I am trying to decide between doing my new kitchen in two-tone (cashmere and white, painted ash) or all one colour (cashmere). I am completely changing the layout of my kitchen to the u-shape as pictured. I will have cream tiles with a mosaic square feature in the base of the "u", in front of the ovens as I will be losing tiles when I take up the existing island counter. Will the two-tone make it look too busy at that end of the kitchen? or will I get away with it as the top cabinets will be white, maybe it will make it feel less narrow at that end? Can't decide which looks best! I love the look of the two-tone in the CAD design as I think it really lifts the cashmere but not sure if it would look more uniform in real life if all cabinets were the one colour. I am also getting stressed as whether to go for brass handles or chrome!! Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments (33)

• Daisy England
    3 years ago

Personally I’m not a lover of a two tone kitchens but it’s each to their own.

There have been a couple of posts on here regarding cashmere kitchens. Cashmere has a definite pink undertone and in different lights can show out much more, so just be careful of your colour choice. Posts have appeared asking what colour to paint walls to blend in the the tones that cashmere presents.

Regarding white and cashmere, it’s a no from me. I don’t think there’s enough contrast in the two chosen colours to look good.

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    3 years ago

I personally like 2 tone kitchens but when designing you do have to be careful how you include the 2 tone look ie where one colour ends and the new colour starts. Looking at your design I see that to the right of your cashmere oven tower you have white wall units, your cornice (top trim) though will be in cashmere around the oven tower and where it goes over the white wall units it will have to change to white which i don't think works. There are ways round this by having extra tall towers and standard wall units so the units are at different heights so you might want to go back to your designer to discuss and get them to show you how the corner will look from a better angle.

• Related Discussions

two tone kitchen with island

Q

Comments (12)
    This colour is rather Dark Brown, I feel adding a further Brown into the Mix will be a little too much, so if you are looking to create a brighter more inviting area. I would stick to a lighter stone or granite worktop with a 'flec', something more Vanilla-Pure White. But, not Brilliant white, you could have a brown flec, as this would be a nice contrast against the Brown Cupboards. I hope this helps! Kerry
    ...See More

The Two-Tone Trend

Q

Comments (0)
    Time to step outside your comfort zone! Add interest to your kitchen design by using another colour. Two-tone kitchens are currently a big trend, working well in both country style kitchens and chic, contemporary style kitchens. Neutrals look great in modern kitchens but why not mix it up by using a bolder colour as a contrast? This may involve creating a focal point in the centre of the room, which could be done by having an island unit in an alternative colour to the surrounding units. Another option would be to have darker base units and lighter wall units, which gives the illusion of more space by drawing the eye upwards. You can then add in other elements in the room in the same colour as the wall units, to let the design flow throughout the kitchen. Go for it, you will love it!
    ...See More

Painting dado rails for two tone effect

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi woodster1987, Traditional paint brands have paints for walls & ceilings as well as wood & metal. Paints for walls & ceilings are available in matt finish and sheen finish. Matt finish, depending on brand and range, could be non-wipeable, wipeable and washable. Those reflect little light, upto 8%. Sheen finishes (Soft Sheen, Silk, Eggshell) are best for kitchens and bathrooms as well as stairwells and hallways and light reflection upto 30%. Those are durable and washable finishes. Paints for wood & metal are "made for purpose", and come in Satin, Eggshell and Gloss durable finishes with a higher sheen. The least shiny is Satin, the most Gloss and High Gloss. Last decade those were mostly oil based, but today most are water based and low odour. There are some paint brands that provide matt finish for walls and wood, but those shouldn't really be used in kitchens and bathrooms and high traffic areas. Please note, whatever finish you choose, no matter what paint brand you use, the old woodwork must be sanded to add "key" - and undercoated before applying finish coats. Are you London based? If yes you could call PAINTFORME® for free consultation. Hopefully you find this helpfull. Kind Regards, Paintforme
    ...See More

Two Toned Cashmere Kitchen

Q

Comments (6)
    This is just my option .... I would avoid cashmere. I have sold it to customers and they have not been happy with it. It definitely has a pink undertone and it is difficult to get things to go with it. If you want a 2 tone nothing mixes well with cashmere IMO. Light colours on walls and darker colours on base units normally looks good. Navy and graphite fascias look lovely but not with cashmere.
    ...See More
  • Aisling
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for replies. Little bit worried about the pink undertone in the cashmere myself as I am only picking the colour from samples as there is no kitchen made up in that colour in the showrooms. We also have to pay a grand extra for it as it is not a standard colour. However, I am not fond of grey and neither is my husband and we have already had a cream ktichen. Another option would have been stone which looks great in the catalogue but the sample door looked quite grey and dark in the shop. Love the CAD designs where the cashmere looks like a beige or a light gold but nervous of how it will look in real life!

• Daisy England
    3 years ago

Cashmere is a standard colour at many suppliers. That particular shaker style door is available in around 10 different colours, all standard and all available at the same price. I sell them. I choose not to post under my business name though. If you’re being robbed for an extra grand you need to change your supplier.

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You shouldn't go by the CAD colours as there are to many variables, even looking at the same picture on 2 different screens it can look like different colours. Also most catalogues use cgi images so again you're not necessarily looking at the true colours. Ask the showroom for a door sample so you can take it home. Even with a bespoke painted colour you should get a sample of the colour that you agree to so when the doors are delivered you can check the door colour against your sample so its the colour that you ordered.

For lots of suppliers cashmere is a standard colour though so it might be worthwhile to keep on looking, its certainly one of my standard colours.

Cashmere, as Daisy said, has a pink hue to it and this changes during the day under natural light and artificial light. If you've only looked at the colours in a showroom which has a lot of harsh artificial light the door could look completely different in your kitchen.

Aisling thanked Lifestyle Kitchens
  • Sonia
    3 years ago

If it were mine I would have the units in one colour. Cashmere is a lovely taupe shade that does have a hint of red/pink but only by adding warmth. I really like your units too. Here’s some taupe/cashmere/beige/mushroom units (just different names for a similar colour!). As to the handles/knobs I love brass, but other metals would still look good.

Aisling thanked Sonia
  • Daisy England
    3 years ago

As Lifestyle kitchens says ask for a door and take it home. We lend out our doors and let customers have them in their own home to view in its own light. Please don’t rely on an online image. A kitchen is a very expensive affair so it would be awful for you to spend £££s and then be disappointed when it’s fitted.

I‘m guessing here but is it a Howdens plan?

Aisling thanked Daisy England
  • Aisling
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No, it's not a Howdens plan! I think it's a Stori kitchen that the company use. The catalogue does just list certain colours in fairness for particular doors though I do think it is ridiculous myself to have to pay so much more for a colour. Think I will ask for a door to take home alright before I decide. I'm thinking that although I like the brass in the CAD design it might be a lot less subtle in real life judging by photos Sonia put up. Would also have to worry about the brass tarnishing. Terrified of getting it wrong as we are spending so much money and it's the first time I have really picked a kitchen from scratch! Thanks so much for all your replies, helps me to think things through.

• Daisy England
    3 years ago

Perhaps mussel would be a decent alternative to cashmere. No undertone with that colour.

• Sonia
    3 years ago

I think brushed brass doesn’t tarnish, but if you don’t like it, that’s okay. We all like different things. Get some samples of knobs/handles that you like and live with them for a few days. Try them against the door sample too. My sister has chosen shiny, chunky chrome knobs and they look great against her dark units. Take your time and don’t rush. I think it’s going to look amazing. This is my sister choice, I hope you can see the knobs!

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    3 years ago

Kitchen Stori is the retail side of Uform, so you're looking at a quality door and accessories, so its a big investment that you obviously want to get right, alternatives at the same market level would be Second Nature by PWS, Burbidge and the company I use is Marpatt. I like Marpatt as they have a wide range of shaker door styles, over 20 standard colours as well as their Infinite Colour option and they can also supply bespoke door sizes. They also have a large showroom at their factory for customer visits.

• Aisling
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Funny my husband loves the mussel. I thought it was a beautiful colour too but to me it had a slight green undertone and I have green tiles and blinds in my kitchen at the moment so didn't want to go greeny again. Thanks Lifestyle but I have just put down a deposit already as the company is doing a sale price at the moment. Sonia, I'm still in two minds about the brass handles as the ones in the showroom were very pretty and detailed, would be great if they didn't tarnish.

• Aisling
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Chrome knobs look great about the dark blue.

• minnie101
    3 years ago

It’s a tricky one! I prefer the white over the hob but I prefer the wall unit in the cashmere as the tall units are quite imposing although I do think the white could also work.

I don’t know your thoughts but it feels as if you need some sort of bridging unit/shelf over the window to balance the tall units.

The photos weren’t the same so I had to colour the wall unit but it’s not terribly close to cashmere! The last pic is just showing these units balanced with the window size but obviously you don’t want to change that so I think a form of shelf would work just as well

• Carolina
    3 years ago

I love the two tone kitchen. It's subtle, but interesting.

Aisling thanked Carolina
  • Marylee H
    3 years ago

I really like your two-tone design too. 🌈

Just a quick note. EVERY paint colour belongs to a measurable and therefore identifiable Hue Family.

I don’t know about this company’s Cashmere, but Howden’s Cashmere is a low Chroma, near neutral, from the Yellow-Red Hue Family.

In a reasonably balanced quality of light it will appear to most as a near neutral grey.

In certain imbalanced lighting, low Chroma near neutrals from this Hue Family neighbourhood are prone to shifting purple-ish. (It certainly doesn’t happen in every room.)

These colours aren’t purple and don’t have purple ‘undertones‘ it is an effect of light quality and context.

You won’t know how the colour will behave for you unless you test in your space with a sample board/door.

Some people actively enjoy colour shift, considering it adds to interest and atmosphere and others do not. If this colour shifts only at night under artificial lighting, then swapping lightbulbs can make a big difference.

If the colour shifts in the day, then there’s little you can do to alter your inherent quality of daylight in a room.

Viewing a large sample of the colour in your space both by day & can save unexpected surprises.

🌈

Aisling thanked Marylee H
  • Sonia
    3 years ago

Hi, Aisling, I had a read up about brass knobs etc, and apparently modern ones are coated in a lacquer to protect them, but over time the lacquer may wear off if it is cleaned too vigorously. My wardrobes are a taupe shade with brushed nickel knobs and they do look nice. I’ll share a picture later. The only thing is they don’t need such harsh cleaning as they are in a bedroom, just a light dust.

• Aisling
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Minnie, wish I could learn to modify my own photos like you did, would probably help me to decide! I do think the tall units are quite big too and they will almost be going to the ceiling. However, it is necessary to fit in the eye-level cookers and the unit in the corner will cover the boiler and pipes, washing machines and hoover, etc. There is actually a very small window right in the corner that I am covering with a press, not a decision I would usually make but the original kitchen had a small utility room there and all the window does is look right into next door's kitchen.

Would prefer the window seat a little wider visually too, hope it won't feel too narrow though it is nearly 4 foot. That's why I was thinking about the two-tone, not sure if the white on the long wall breaks up the look of the tall units, specially if I have white cushions at the window seat to balance it or whether it would look more streamlined all one colour with white blinds, etc instead.

Thanks for all your help with the handles Sonia. I emailed the company and apparently they are not lacquered though they do have an anti-tarnish finish. They have similar in polished nickel which I also love but that can tarnish too though maybe it would be less obvious than the brass? The polished chrome ones don't have all the detail that I like, they are more ordinary so maybe I will have to resign myself to a bit of cleaning!

Thanks Marylee for the info on the colour hues. In the Stori catalogue their cashmere is listed under pinks/purples but I think ultimately I do love the warmth that cashmere has, sometimes all nuetral can be a little bland. Do you think white against cashmere would make it look less or more pinky if that hue comes out?

• minnie101
    3 years ago

Oh I’m terrible at photoshopping, Carolina is the expert! The other thing you could do is add a Roman blind.

I think the window seat size is good, maybe a white seat pad and then a little colour in pattern for other cushions. Sorry, I didn’t mean they’re too big, just the window is a little unbalanced. I think covering the other window is a good idea too

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

Hi -

Usually a way of attempting to make a colour appear more neutral, is to put a more saturated relative adjacent to it.

But if one didn’t enjoy the purple-ish aspect then introducing more of it, isn‘t likely to be the desired answer.

But when the colour shift is due to light quality, the impression you receive will only be slightly mitigated by the colours near it. They won’t completely eradicate the issue.

Here’s an example of Benjamin Moore’s Stonington Gray. It‘s another near neutral, but belonging to the Green-Yellow Family. In balanced lighting many will read it as a ‘true’ neutral grey.

But near neutrals from this neighbourhood are inclined to shift blue (as here) - if the inherent light spikes in violet/blue wavelengths.

The designer here has made the colour appear more neutral, by adding ‘bluer’ accessories & furnishings.

Aisling thanked Marylee H
  • Sonia
    3 years ago

Here’s my polished pewter knobs on my wardrobes but sorry the photo is rubbish but it’s dark and my lighting isn’t great!

• Aisling
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Think a Roman blind would definitely help balance it thanks. Your polished pewter look lovely Sonia.

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

My sister's kitchen is Cashmere, it works well with warm neutral tiles, charcoal, Skimming Stone paint and a purplish grey. If in doubt anything stoney would be good, especially if you prefer things a bit earthier and warmer and classic.

Aisling thanked Juliet Docherty
  • Aisling
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Your sister's kitchen definitely looks beige there, worktop is lovely too

• cavgirl
    3 years ago

I wouldn’t worry about the handles at the moment. I did exactly the same thing as you—stressed over whether to go two tone, whether to have pewter/chrome or brass handles etc... In the end, I painted my whole kitchen in Slaked Lime Deep with one run of cupboards in Mid. The dresser was painted Payne’s Grey which gives a splash of colour. As for handles, I couldn’t decide and went for Amazon Basic’s brushed nickel handles, with the exception of my peninsula which used decorative handles from TK Maxx. The amazon handles were intended as a cheap stop gap (I don’t think I paid much more than £20 for the lot), and more than two years later they’re still there and look lovely. In other words, handles are easily changed, and they can be an area where you can save money while you decide on a permanent option.

Aisling thanked cavgirl
  • Aisling
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Cavgirl, just googled Slaked lime, it looks like a gorgeous colour! While I want the kitchen doors to last me as long as possible I was thinking that too about the handles, they're a small ticket item that could be changed after a few years if I was tired of them.

• Aisling
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Deborah, I took home some samples last week, they are only postcard size though so it is still hard to visualise it! Judging by the samples we are now going to go for mussel as the cashmere looked very dark in the corner where we would have almost ceiling height larder units, etc. so we decided to play it safe as the layout of the kitchen is going to be totally different too. Now I am trying to decide whether to go for brass handles or brushed nickel!

• juliehanna59
    3 years ago

Hi Aisling

There is a lot of good advice here and the only thing I would add is that when I re-did my kitchen I asked myself a couple of basic questions; the first being did I intend to stay in the house - in my case the answer was yes, the second question was how often was I going to 'do' the kitchen. Given the expense, enviromental considerations etc I estimated I wanted my kitchen to last 15/20 years. With this in mind I had to decide if a two tone kitchen would date and simply look mis-matched in 5 years time as trends moved on. For me the choice was simply I decided on one colour, in a classic design and added 'modern'' touches/colour via lighting, handles, tap, applicances i.e. kettle, toaster which are less expensive to change if you want to ring in the changes. Ps. a great place to purchase handles of all sorts is More Handles Limited, they have two showroom where you can browse, an online website and brilliant customer service. Good luck with the re-do.

Aisling thanked juliehanna59
  • Aisling
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Julie, as I am going to go for the lighter colour now (mussel) I am definitely going to go for just one colour. I feel exactly the same as you, I want to get maybe 20 years out of the kitchen and just change it by repainting (in ten years!) or changing the handles!

• juliehanna59
    3 years ago

Ps. Sorry I meant to add that when I purchased from More Handles they let me purchase handles in different shapes and finishes to try with the doors and return for refund (I did travel to Carlislex3 but it was well worth the time and effort). I found that chrome (my first love) was too harsh, brass was a little dull but the softer tone of nickel was just right. As its a family run business they are more than happy to work with customers to get it right. Check out their website, if only for ideas.

Aisling thanked juliehanna59
  • Noidea
    3 years ago

Re knobs/handles, the only thing i would say is that if you're prone to 'leaning' against units (people tend to when there are a standing around socilising in the kitchen) handles are way more comfortable to lean aginst than knobs! Just my thoughts...

Aisling thanked Noidea
  • PRO
    Dual Designs
    3 years ago

Hi Aisling, definitely just stick to the one colour as there's no natural place that works to have two colours. Saying that it looks like you've come to that decision, though personally I'd go for the Cashmere. Good luck :))

Aisling thanked Dual Designs
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.