houzzuk

Statement wallpaper – have you braved it?

HouzzUK
24 August, 2018

Dramatic wallpaper designs like these [statement beauties[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/ideabooks/112733777/list/statement-wallpaper) can transform a room – and that's whether you choose to paper a feature wall or all four walls!

Are you brave enough? Tell us where you've dared to go bold with wallpaper at home (we'd love to see a photo too)!

Reflections collection · More Info

Statement Wallpaper · More Info

Chris Goodchild

I have been looking for something different wallpaper wise for my house for when I get to the decorating stage. This morning I had a look on Aliexpress to see if they had any wallpapers, under Textile wallcoverings there is an amazing range of custom made to measure feature wall offerings, some are murals and for me a bit on the tacky side but some of the designs are definitelyin the 'making a statement' category.

You need to read through the blarb a couple of times as some of the instructions have been done via Google translate but I am going to try one of the smaller designs for a bedroom and see how the order comes out. They print any given design to the size you want so that you can cover any wall.

I have no idea how it will turn out but I like a lot of the designs, if the quality turns out to be good I will be delighted.

If anyone has experience with ordering this kind of thing from Aliexpress I would love to know about it.

• Lyn Hickson

Nisha Parekh the wallpaper is called hummingbirds I think it's designer guilds.My sister-in-law has it on one wall as a feature behind her bed and it's stunning! Lot's of colour ways hers is dark blue and gold with a gold quilt set it works fabulously.hope this helps you

• Nisha Parekh
    Thanks Lyn! Now I just have to figure out which room to use it in... I suspect the husband will not be impressed considering we just finished redecorating the whole house... Or so he thought...
  • T Gray

I am currently considering using this Graham and Brown in my breakfast room. It's not subtle, fashionable, modern or one that most folks would have in their house. However the room is bright with original Edwardian cupboards and painted oak and teak furniture (old stuff given time to age into shabby chic! ) and I think it is going to look fab :D

Amalfi Cielo

Chris Goodchild

T Gray

I like that paper , it reminds me of one of the lighter fruity William Morris designs.

I am thinking of this; https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1kpRic6ihSKJjy0Flq6ydEXXaw.jpg for my lounge, it's printed to fit the wall and works out around €300 for the wall so not exactly cheap but my wife likes it too and it compliments the three piece suite colours.

• T Gray

Thanks Chris, never thought of that. Probably why we feel it suits the room. Though only on one wall. All of them may be a tad too much. :D

unfortunately your link doesn't work for me. You got a different link?

• Ki
    Love bold wallpaper as well as a good, bold paint. Have this one (piccie 1&2) on our landing - there are no windows so I wanted something fun but light. The second one is our lounge/diner...loved it for years but I’m the sort of person that loves to redecorate, so I feel that a change may be coming to this room soon...I daren’t tell the OH!
  • gilliifer
    l love wallpaper. Just have the decorator in now. I tend to choose quite subtle, art deco styles in the main. But have chosen a rich blue for the lounge, and a wild tropical look for the downstairs loo. What I I enjoy is variety in other people's homes. The point is it's fun. And it can be changed. If you are a fan of safe, plain white, go for it. But some of us like a bit more character.
  • Lena
    I really like wallpaper, but restricted to one wall.
  • missizz17
    We used wallpaper to warm the room up. It was previously painted a miserable shark/gunmetal grey. Now we have textured wallpaper, bold but civilised
  • Judith Wright
    In my lounge
  • Jac Hackney

Metallic washable Zophany wallpaper as a splash back works really well

• Ali Wadham

My downstairs loo....flamingoed!

• Masar Abbas
    i want the color of wall dark blue
  • Helen

Our downstairs cloakroom x

• Emma Lamb
    Ali and Helen...wallpaper envy! love a Flamingo and a Palm.
  • Jac Hackney

Go nuts and think totally outside the box with fun wallpaper

• angelavdavis
    I have fish in my kitchen diner and trees in my downstairs cloak!
  • Jenny Atkinson
    Just finished decorating
  • Heidi Lumb

We did a feature wall with wallpaper in our main bedroom....its subtle yet striking and we are VERY pleased with it!

• Heidi Lumb

Then we went all over in the 'industrial themed' utility room

• pmasmith3
    I love my Juneberry & Bird by Lorna Susan. Finished decorating kitchen/diner just in time for Christmas.
  • pmasmith3
    Sorry, Lorna Syson - predictive text!
  • coolerplanet

Renovating a mid century house, we slapped white paint almost everywhere except in the newly opened up hall way . We chose a Josef Albers design to chime age wise and hung one colourway in the hall and another in the entrance.. It is dramatic but cheerful and works well in transition areas I think.

• Jane
    Downstairs cloakroom
  • jemma_browne48
    My downstairs loo. It’s been like this for at least 8 years and I still love it. I do fancy a change though.
  • Julie

Wallpaper sometimes just works. Here's my mini moderns in my 1960's house.

• Julie

Festival

• Sarah
    I'd love to try a wallpaper but have never done it before. I change my mind a lot. If I put it up and then want to change it, will I end up with a scrappy uneven looking wall after I've steamed it off? What are other people's experience?
  • Julie
    No sarah it wont ruin your wall if ti was in good condition before, should you decide to take it off again....unless its woodchip!
  • Sarah
    Thanks Julie, no woodchip thankfully! Walls are in pretty good condition. That's good news then, maybe I'll try some wallpaper then :-)
  • Julie
    give it a go Sarah you might be pleasantly surprised
  • Nicola Hassall

I love wallpaper. Every room has it in, as you can see!

• Nicola Hassall

the other rooms!

World of Wallpaper UK

Looking for some wallpaper inspo? Check out our website: https://www.worldofwallpaper.com/ We've got a design for everyone and everyroom!

• soozmacrae

Ive got paint everywhere apart from fireplace. I really want to be adventurous. Now that ive seen others, im going to give it a go!

Hampstead Design Hub

Hi there!

Personally I love wall paper. By using the wall paper you can add a colour and stile to the project

• Isabel Robson
    I thought this was quite bold, but creates a lovely cosy snug!
  • Carrol Jordaan-Heffernan
    I will get tired of the design
  • doughnut44

Be brave, I love my newest addition to our home

• Trese Rowe
    A Mark Hearld paper from St Jude’s, in our downstairs loo. We love the design because we live in a Red Squirrel area!
  • Polly Cake Pops
    I went a bit jungle in my downstairs loo
  • chinablax
    Decided to go a bit crazy with the dining room wall. Not too outrageous, just enough to stand out.
  • Jurgita Malinauskaite-Narauskiene
    I need yours help
    Just moved to new house and have no idea which wallpapers choose in my hallway any idea?
    Thanks
  • Heidi Lumb

I see you have a grey carpet......we chose Crown Cotton Tweed Stripe wallpaper in our hallway and it looks super smart and also a very good value paper!

• cathdyson

I went brave in the guest bedroom with Bluebellgray wallpaper

Chris Goodchild

cathdyson I think that looks amazing, nice job.

• T Gray

cathdyson, that looks fantastic! We have just done our spare bedroom in Drawing Room Blue and were discussing whether to do a massive flower mural to finish it off. I am now off to that site to see what they have, thank you! :)

• Isabel Walter

We went a bit wallpaper crazy. One in the living room, one in the WC, two in the hall and three in the kitchen...

Brandler London

I agree that wallpaper is a great way of making a statement as can be seen from one of our recent projects:-

Mount Park, London · More Info

Mount Park, London · More Info

Mount Park, London · More Info