anathee

colors yes or no.. help please :)

anathee
5 years ago

Hi

i am purchasing new armchairs and a sofa.

we decided that the sofa will be dark grey.

at first i fell in love with this pink color and decided on it for the 2 arm chairs..

then i thought

1. maybe it's too much

2. what other color can i blend in for pillows?

3. will i get sick of it?

then thought of one of these light blue colors, i can add light pink to pillows and can be a pretty combination.

am scared that:

1. too light for a house with 3 little kids

2. too much with the fact that this is the lighting in the living room and its an open space with dining table with these chairs.. too much turquoise??

any thoughts?

Comments (79)

• niccidhg
    5 years ago
    Not sure why you are replacing your sofa, but if you kept it maybe you could cover the chairs in a gray fabric . If getting the gray sofa, then go with the pink for the chairs . Decrease the # of pillows and make them uniform - maybe a solid gray or beige linen/ tweed fabric. Ground everything with a rug - (suggestion below) . REPLACE the light fixture with something more neutral ( maybe something with a light colored fabric , drum shade ).Paint the coffee table with a charcoal colored chalk paint and put your large orchid there ( the one on the stool ). Is there room to hang some white shears over the window ? Lastly, investing in a storage piece with removable baskets for the toys would go a long way in making everything tidy and cohesive. Best of luck.
    anathee thanked niccidhg
  • anathee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

the toys are going, the new table is a butcher block style small table,

the sofa is broken thats the reason its being replaced.

you're right about the light fixture! will do.

i will not miss the pastels since i still have them- the pink wall, the chairs, and almost forgot this- i have 2 kitchen chairs in light mint

i am totally lost now.. too many colors??

still afraid of taking neutral colors for the chairs with toddlers..

about the shears- i have a problem because as you can see the side is a door so i need something maybe only on one side or that will only cover the box..

• Related Discussions

POLL: Separate beds in bedroom - yes or no?

Q

Comments (22)
    We have a double bed but it's a couple of single divans zipped together, this does cut down on movement being felt when the person your sleeping with turns over... additionally we have separate duvets which is fantastic! My husband likes to be tucked in and have the covers right up to his ears and I can't bear either! In the winter though I hate that wind tunnel down my back so, for us, we want to share a big bed but not a duvet!
    ...See More

Colouring In Wallpaper- Yes or No?

Q

Comments (1)
    Undecided could look quite cool but would have to be in an adults room
    ...See More

Please please help! Urgent advice on decor!!!

Q

Comments (11)
    As Minnie says, not a fan of chalk paint on furniture, it has it's places, but for a washable surface with kids around it's a big No No. It has to be sealed and then it doesn't look like chalk paint anymore - and, quite frankly it's a load of old B*** that it sticks to almost any surface - almost being the operative word there. You can paint ikea units. Scratch the surface with a fine grade sandpaper 120 grit....then use a good quality water based primer - we use dulux. ( one coat should be enough with dulux ) Then buy a waterbased satinwood paint - also our preference is Dulux Diamond Trade..............you can pick your colour off any of their colour cards. You have great flat surfaces, so if it were me i'd roller the top coat on with small gloss rollers. You may need to do more than two coats but it will give a better finish than using a brush. Don't over load the roller, don't worry too much about the small air bubbles, they flatten out when it dries and kind of gel together. x
    ...See More

MDF Skirtings. Yes or no?

Q

Comments (8)
    As part of our initial house renovation 3 years ago we used mdf skirting and architraves. It is one of my biggest regrets. It can go a bit fluffy when sanded, if it gets wet it's ruined and if you knock into a corner bits chip off very easily. I find mine seems to be more prone to chipping than denting like pine would. In my opinion the only upside is that it you don't have any knots to treat and you won't ever have them showing through. I'd rather the knots all day long than mdf. We are just extending and any new woodwork will definitely be pine. If the price difference isn't a factor then I'd steer towards pine. Lou x
    ...See More
  • anathee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

i like pink, can go for a light pink

i like color

but i want it to look nice and not clowny :(

i feel lost in the world of colors

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Anathee, your room is light and bright, so you can go with deeper colors in the furniture, if you want. Be careful of too many pastels; the room could end up looking like an ice cream parlor.

anathee thanked groveraxle
  • anathee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

what kind of deeper colors?

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Here are some different shades of pink with a dark gray couch:

• anathee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

wow! thankyou

hard to see with the white coffee table that is being replaced with a wooden one.

should i stay with same dining rable chair colors for the armchairs?

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

• anathee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thankyou!

so what do you guys think:

2 chairs-

1. light pink

2. dark pink

3. light light blue

(did not find nice patterned fabrics where i am purchasing them)

with wooden butcher block coffee table and dark gray sofa.

+ any solutions for window treatment since part of the window is a door so makes it more difficult..

• Stephanie Chatel
    5 years ago
    If you love the pink go with it. Life is to short. Pink and grey are nice together. some small repetitions of the pink will pull it together. You can always paint the light fixture if you don't want to change it.
    anathee thanked Stephanie Chatel
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

If you don't mind getting rid of the dining chairs, I would. They don't go with the turquoise light and, frankly, they're a little mousy. I'd go with something in a plain wood. Maybe something like these:

Langley Street Chastain Side Chair & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Can we see a photo of the entire window including the door?

• anathee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

not an option right now...

budget just for the living room - sofa, chairs, table rug and curtains

• anathee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• niccidhg
    5 years ago
    I like dark pink- the material you originally liked. I think light pink would be too much the same , but “ not quite” like your walls , unless it were to be a print if you still find one.What is the box over the windows ? I don’t think it would be a problem to just have curtains at the window portion, but depending upon how much you use the door, you could always use a rod that allows you to pull them right to left when you want to expose the door. You have not said anything about a rug . I think that would be an important element to include in your redesign. It would pull the whole grouping together and define and soften the space. How do you feel about a rug ?
    anathee thanked niccidhg
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Those windows and door look pretty industrial. I think I'd go with shades instead of curtains. Do you need to cover them all including the door?

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Yes to the dark pink. Give it some kick. I think s this will be good.

anathee thanked tqtqtbw
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

• niccidhg
    5 years ago
    I also thought of shades initially too , Grover, but thought the room could use something softer - that could always be there without obscuring the amount of light coming into the room. Is this the only window bringing in natural light ? —— Here is some inspiration re. light fixtures -
    anathee thanked niccidhg
  • niccidhg
    5 years ago
    And a couple more -
    anathee thanked niccidhg
  • ljptwt7
    5 years ago
    Another vote for dark pink, I love pink and grey together. You can paint your dining chairs instead of replacing. What about wooden blinds for the windows instead of curtains? Could you put blinds on the door? Just a thought.
    anathee thanked ljptwt7
  • niccidhg
    5 years ago
    Some examples of curtains -
    anathee thanked niccidhg
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    5 years ago

I personally love the pink for you with the other items you mention, anyone can do neutrals :) #bebold

anathee thanked Color Zen
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

The problem with curtains is you don't really have any place to stack them.

• anathee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thankyou!

im going back to the chairs- thanks color zen.

my cocerns for the pink is too much color in the house (open space with kitchen and dining where chairs are mint/ light blue, pink wall in living room)

so what do you guys think:

2 chairs-

1. light pink

2. dark pink

3. light light blue

(did not find nice patterned fabrics where i am purchasing them)

with this table and dark gray sofa.

• havingfun
    5 years ago

I like everything you have together right now. should i dispose of the pillow i put out? i think whites and white sheers would be great in that room too. whites and creamy whites are always nice i think.

anathee thanked havingfun
  • anathee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

nicci

i would like a rug, but will need a rug with out any prints since my husband doesn't like the printed ones..

maybe straw color?

i can't paint the dining chairs, they are here to stay for now..

about the curtains- we like the scenery so wouldn't want the windows to be covered all the time, though we do need the door to be easy to open..

the box is the shutter box

i agree about cream or white

still figuring out what pillows i can use if i chose the dark pink...

the initial idea was light pink pillows for the gray sofa but with the dark pink too much

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

dark pink.

you love colors, you love this one, it will be nice with grays. it'd be a good partner with darker sofa..actually it can be amazing with half the colors out there

do you know yourself as a person who gets sick of things soon? if no-you won't get sick of pink. if yes-you have same exact chance to get sick of any color chair))

as for the pillows.. maybe I missed it and you showed it..but what the sofa will be? shape, etc? can you pot a pic or a link to one?

anathee thanked aprilneverends
  • niccidhg
    5 years ago
    Is something like this still too much pattern ? Would look good, I think , with a darker gray sofa and pink chairs.
    anathee thanked niccidhg
  • niccidhg
    5 years ago
    Some pillow options -
    anathee thanked niccidhg
  • havingfun
    5 years ago

but in a way it is not a pattern.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

it's a geometric pattern. it's not uniform, but it's still a pattern.

anathee thanked Beth H. :
  • havingfun
    5 years ago

ok, i can accept kaleidoscope, which is not much of a pattern. but the mathematician side of me violently protests the geometric concept.

• anathee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thank you everybody!

i'm down to light pink like in BETH Hs pcture versus my darker pink.

regarding the rug maybe gray is a good solution- maybe ill wait until the rest of the furniture arrives.

i don't have a pic of the gray sofa but an ordinary one, nothing crazy about it :)

dark pink: it's fun, happy, brings life and not boring or lika all the houses around here

afraid of too much color with the pillows or too much color with my kitchen and dining chairs.. and wall

bright pink: i love the combintaion with dark gray!

too much pastels in my house? and also too much for 2 chairs..

it's money time! this dilemma is driving me crazy i must decide!

thankyou all patient advisors!! i know im driving nuts with this

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

I was interested to see sofa to see lines..lines suggest of style..style suggests pillows, to a degree))

It's not only colors..it's design, patterns, textures and jazz

(there are even some sofas that look better with no pillows at all. And I'm a huge pillow lover. Like, pillows and throws-my very weak spot)

to wait is always a good advice. Rug is not a mattress..you have time:)

I do like pale pink in combination with light wood

yes it is pulling to pastels direction, with other things you've got ..can be what you love, can be what you don't want to end up with

so. still would be helpful to see the sofa. to see how it all ties up.

you want a whole concept of the space when deciding on a thing like color

but it's up to you of course..I also don't feel like much sharing sometimes

just know you don't drive us nuts)) or else we wouldn't be here in the first place

(I'm nuts anyway lol, nothing to loose)

• anathee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

i dont have a picture,

but closest to this- in darker gray gray of course.. without the wooden bottem and with wooden small legs, and 2 large cushions like the middle one instead of all of those

• anathee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

and this is how you see all the colors together in the house:

• thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    May I make one small suggestion that will help ‘visually clean up’ your space. Consider painting only the wall space around the window (only on that wall) a dark grey that matches the window frame color. It will look so much better than that strip of pink below (which just makes the window wall look really heavy and off balance). Maybe Grover could photoshop it so you can see.
    anathee thanked thinkdesignlive
  • anathee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

great idea- except the window is a disgusting brownish and not a gray... unfortunately can't replace windows..

• havingfun
    5 years ago

ok, the window does not need to be replaced, you just repaint the trim, probably won't even use a big can. since curtains wont work you can make up/down shades, they are very reasonable if you follow instructions you find online.

almost all my pillows are <$25 for 18 x18, it seems you do not like those, let me know, i can toss them. tell me and i can get some you do like, direction is necessary, that is why i got so many different styles. i will go toss the rug, since it does not work for you.

• anathee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

doesn't it need special paint?

• anathee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

going to pay for the chairs tomorrow!

cant make up my mind- light or dark pink? with all the colors in my house..

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

..still thinking

both will require some tweaking of the rest. depends on where you want to take it

your style is "softer" than your apartment lines. I totally realize that's not the clearest phrase I ever wrote..

meanwhile found a pillow cover..for my own inspiration lol..to help me think

(West Elm)

• Laura Hill
    5 years ago
    Following... (my vote is for the dark pink!)
  • havingfun
    5 years ago

anathee, only if it is metal. you can always look it up. following april's thought

Square Throw Decorative Pillows You'll Love | Wayfair · More Info

Square Throw Decorative Pillows You'll Love | Wayfair · More Info

• Molly
    5 years ago
    Saw these in a magazine today and thought of you.
    anathee thanked Molly
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

was looking at your pic again and thinking the wall color looks very lilac/pink. maybe bringing in more of a nude tone pink would go w/the floor better? or doing more of a purple? the far right color in the pic is BM Amethyst Sky. I think it goes well w/the floor, the window and your flooring. bring in a rug w/your pinks/lavender tones, and it should all blend. the middle selection is from Behr.

• anathee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

thankyou beth!!

do you think it with go with the pink i sent? ill send it again

• anathee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beth,

what color would you choose for the chairs?

i really appreciate your advice

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

hard to tell w/just these snippets. lighting changes everything

I think the far right Amethyst Sky works, and the lighter, pale,nude pinks work. A white would also work,,a pale opal,,, don't forget to bring in a white fluffy rug. I think that will bring everything together.

if you stay w/the same tones, you can do a lot of different shades. look at this bedroom. everything is soft and muted

pink and aubergine, gray/white/silver. wall color is very soft since the two pieces are so colorful.

it just depends how much color you want in your room. you don't want it to look like a funhouse. The first two have a lot of color, but nothing is overly done. the solid colors in the sofa/rugs, kind of corral all the tones.

this one, well, it's colorful and a bit busy for my taste, but it works.

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.