overhilldesigns

Kitchen Remodel - the results

overhilldesigns
5 years ago
Just a (late) thank you for those who offered advice on appliances and countertops. It’s been 6 months now, and this kitchen is functioning exactly as dreamed. I designed the layout, the cabinet faces, the interiors (I can show you the pull outs if there’s any interest), the rangehood - everything. This is my Barbie Dream Kitchen and it’s 11 years in the making.

Appliances:

- 36” built in SZ fridge. I had cabinet faces on that wall built to make this look as integrated as a BI can. I’m a huge baker and found that a cookie sheet cannot fit into an integrated unit bc it’s not deep enough. The BI is perfect. I had it designed to match the freezer even though it’s just a single door fridge. Next to it are two mirrored panels to match the shorter leaded panels original to my 1920 home. One is a false front. The other is the door to my walk in (it turns the corner) pantry.

- 30” integrate freezer with two drawers and an ice maker

- 30” Miele double wall ovens. Love the programs but hardly use them. As a cook, it’s hard for me to trust them! I’ll get there.

- custom since and brushed brass hood with a Zephyr fan. Works really well.

- 4 burner plus griddle Wolf. Many cautioned against the griddle. I love it and use it every week. So convenient.

- 30” Miele induction. Amazing! I used it the other night to make custard for ice cream. Done over gas, it’s a slow and hot process. Over induction? I was cool as a cucumber.

- 2 paneled Miele dishwashers. The clean like a charm but I’m still figuring out the best way to stack the racks.

Countertops and walls: here (and the wet bar by the seating area, not pictured) are Mystic White. Sooooo many people said don’t do marble. They were wrong. I’ve had coffee and wine spills. Found berry marks from ages ago. And my favorite - had a Pyrex pan explode, sending a tomato based sauce everywhere. Zero problems. We put a good sealant on it and it’s worked like a charm. I did stupidly knick a side with a metal sheet pan, but that was on me and I don’t worry about it. No one has noticed and I don’t see it (and could buff it if i wanted). I am religious about using silicone mats for bases when I cook and silicone drying mats for when I’m doing dishes. Water marks come and go - you don’t see them on white marble. I LOVE this material and highly recommend it.

- Backsplash on cooking wall and wet bar wall is a tile I saw and loved for how it picks up the light grey of my walls and the dark grey of my hood. (The marble has hues of grey, cream and taupe - I went with heavily veined pieces.)

Anyway, that’s the kitchen! Thanks again for your advice!

Comments (57)

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.