webuser_445760841

Living room decor ideas

Amy
5 years ago

I'm struggling to get my thoughts together on how to redecorate my living room. When we moved in 5 years ago we threw our existing furniture in it and did nothing else so it looks very unloved and a bit soul-less!

Excuse the poor quality photos, I can try again tomorrow in daylight.

The room is very bright as the large window is down to the floor and gets the sun all afternoon. I hate the grey plastic gas fire so it is going. I don't like the current configuration as the room is longer than it is wide and with the fire and tv at the far end it seems to make it even longer. The only thing we have bought so far is ikea cabinets in wood effect with pale grey matt doors. The idea is we will wall mount the tv (probably behind the door, where the pink sofa currently is) and have the cabinets surrounding it. Deeper units along the bottom and shallower round the top. I'd love a grey geometric wallpaper on the back wall (where fire currently is) and I think it would help to bring that wall forward maybe?

Ideally I'd like to choose a sofa next but I keep swinging from one idea to another as I love the traditional and contemporary looks. Our house is 1970s/80s with no 'period' features (except 70s open tread staircase!) and I want this to be our 'grown up' lounge now the kids are past the baby stage. I'm up for something a bit different but most importantly it must have a cosy feel to it. I was originally looking at this in pale grey

https://images.dfs.co.uk/i/dfs/sophia_gl_sophia_pearlcombination_view1?$pdp-main-dk$

but now I think it's too 'safe' and I'm tending towards something in a soft velvet, and not a corner...I saw this today that might work, but in the regular 3 seater, and in a mid grey...

Any thoughts or ideas would be so helpful!

Thanks.

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.