lehockey

How to decorate around creamy/yellow counters?

lehockey
5 years ago

Hi there,

Hoping someone detached from this kitchen can help me see the light!

We moved into our house in January 2017 - it's a semi detached house from 1903 that has been extended a number of times (fortunately the people we bought it from had moved the bathroom upstairs and put in an en-suite!) and has a few...quirks!

The kitchen we think was originally a garage or an outbuilding of some kind, it isn't connected to the central heating at all and is extremely cold at this time of year. On the plus side when the last lot of work was done it had a skylight put in, it is also southwest facing so is quite bright.

There is a big range cooker (needs some cosmetic work but is a nice feature otherwise), bespoke cabinets (ALL wood and dovetail joints, beautiful bit of craftsmanship) and proper solid counters - I think they are granite maybe?

We don't have the budget to replace it, and since it's custom built I'm not sure I would want to just rip it out, but it is all a bit....yellow!

Help?

I think I'm going to replace the cooker hood with a black one (that is actually wide enough for the cooker!), we've already replaced the tap...and tidied the clutter.

We'll definitely paint the walls, and hopefully the cabinets, and replace the handles, but I can't work out what colour we can go that wouldn't class with the counter/cooker combo?

Help me people of Houzz, you're my only hope!

Laura

Comments (20)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.