pummers

Bathroom and ensuite layout dilemma

Pummers
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Attached is the default layout from the architect as it was presented to me. I'm look at making some changes but also trying to optimise the layout as both spaces are currently the same size 4.2m x 2.1m internal. The overall foot print can't change but happy to look at better options.

The bathroom will enter from a hallway while the ensuite will come from the master via a walk through robe. The ensuite currently has a linen cupboard and a utility space, the utility space is for ducting for a ERV system as the house will be very airtight.

Comments (38)

• kiwimills
    5 years ago
    No plan showed up....
  • Pummers
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yep, Accidentally saved it without adding the layout... It would be so much easier if I could add a PDF and not have to convert it first to a photo.

• Related Discussions

Do you think? En-suite bathroom

Q

Comments (11)
    I think size-wise you'd struggle - unless you use second bedroom for storage/dressing room. Your main bedroom is similar size to mine and I opted for larger family bathroom rather than 2 tiny rooms for sake of ensuite. Another consideration will be where plumbing/drainage is currently running, as this will cause major upheaval to re-route. Do you have current floor plan?
    ...See More

Family Bathroom and EnSuite layouts - Advice needed please

Q

Comments (7)
    Gina, I'm not really sure why i put it there to be honest!! The suggestion to locate the shower as shown on Jonathan's plan obviously makes much more sense! Some of my design thought was based on me thinking the toilets would need to be on the same wall so as to use the same soil pipe, not sure if this is just my incorrect logic though!??? Jonathan, I understand what you are saying about incorporating the cupboard space into bedroom 3 but if you remember back the plan (see below) was to create a study/bedroom from the hallway, old wc and landing cupboard. It wouldn't be possible to do this if we divided bedroom 3 into two rooms as they'd be no access to the far bedroom. Your plan would leave me with no more bedrooms than i have now and with a smaller bed 3. We could of course incorporate the cupboard space into bed 3 rather than the bathroom, making it an even bigger room but I'm slightly reluctant to as this room is one that has been finished.
    ...See More

en-suite Bathroom layout

Q

Comments (2)
    It looks perfect Works great as well!
    ...See More

bathroom ensuite dilemma

Q

Comments (7)
    ​For reference that wall with the basin on is 103cm (so a tad larger than your wall). The mirror cabinet is 800mm and the basin unit is 620mm. Looking at your plan again I wonder if you could consider swapping the shower position to where the basin is currently? That would give you a bit more room as you walked through the door.  The other alternative would be to move the shower enclosure to where the loo is and then have loo then basin but moving the toilet is more tricky=more expensive!
    ...See More
  • oklouise
    5 years ago

please supply dimensions and a view of the whole house plan would help

• Pummers
    Original Author
    5 years ago

As I said in the main post... The room sizes are 2.1m wide and 4.2m long as I said above... both are the same. Their over all location in the house can not move, the only wall that could be moved is the dividing wall. No I don't want post my whole plans otherwise I would have.

• oklouise
    5 years ago

what size is the main bathroom, how much floor space is necessary for the ERV and where are the windows in the master bedroom, what's on the hallway side of the family shower...could the entry door to the family bathroom be changed.... location of doors and windows and identifying what is further along the halls can influence location of doors between master bedroom, wiw and ens

• me me
    5 years ago
    I think you have the optimum layout for the ensuite, however I would go for a walkin shower rather than having a door. The main bathroom could perhaps be changed a bit.
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    Hi pummers, this photo shows an alternative set up for main bathroom. This will give you a bigger shower recess area. And more room along one side of bathroom. Thanks
  • Pummers
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Dreamer, my only concern with a shower bath layout like that is cleaning it. The chance for mold to thrive on the back side of the bath is massive. This will also be my kids bathroom so I do like the ides of the wet space in one spot.
  • Sara Graham
    5 years ago
    Perhaps something along these lines, with the walk in shower next to the bath. There’s currently not much room for towel rails in your plan. And the shower door eats space. This suggested plan would give you room for towels opposite the vanity. This plan is 3.6m x 1.8m so in your room you’d have room for a larger vanity. You could also swap the vanity and toilet. And a walk in shower is great if you are planning to still be in the same house as you age.
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    5 years ago

Seems quite good to me. Can't see anywhere that would need changing to improve it.

Aside from going with a built in bath perhaps.

If you wanted to change it you could make the ensuite narrower and bathroom wider?

• Pummers
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Genkil, I'm intending to stay in this house until I'm wheeled out one way or the other. The ensuite will be my disabled access bathroom if required. The main bathroom will be for the kids...

So if I go for the walk-in shower I will build the bath in which has been a though floating in the back of my head for a while. I would also swing the door to the middle and put the WC behind the door to hide it from initial view.

• Pummers
    Original Author
    5 years ago

MB D&D, I have toyed with the idea for a while about doing a built in bath in the main and a clawfoot bath of some sort in the ensuite as it is a wife requirement.

I can move the dividing wall as required, just the overall foot print can't change. Same as I can change the size and orientation of the linen press and utility shaft space as required, but it has to be set before the floor is poured.

• Pummers
    Original Author
    5 years ago

MB D&D, Noting your location do you have any contacts for BAL-FZ roller shutters? I will only need shutters for 5-10yrs until the area is developed then it all becomes a non issue.

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    5 years ago

BAL FZ shutters are a bit of a headache.

I don't have any suitable contacts at this stage aside from Paarhammer. Its worthwhile investigating the use of FZ windows and doors such as Paarhammer rather than shutters. Many appear compliant but even the certifiers are now finding that the shutter certification is invalid....could only be some text in the paperwork but this needs to be addressed before the certifier will approve.

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Pummels, genkii and myself have the same idea for the main bathroom. Install a built in bath, not a freestanding bath. This would solve your cleaning and mould issues.
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    Hi Pummers, this is another alternative for main bathroom.
  • Pummers
    Original Author
    5 years ago

siriuskey, I looked at that and similar styles some time ago, but it was vetoed by head of design approval.

• Pummers
    Original Author
    5 years ago

dreamer, that is an option too, but I would end up with the shower next to the window which is why I think it ended up behind the door as a standard 900mm sq shower.

My kids will think they are living in a resort as it is... as much as I love them I don't want them to stick around forever.

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Pummers, nothing wrong with incorporating a window in a large shower recess. But I get what you mean regarding the kids. My young adults are hanging around. But, I admit, the house would be quiet without them.
  • louiab
    5 years ago
    Our kids bathroom has exactly the same layout as your proposed bathroom. I think ours may be a bit shorter in length though than yours. Our vanity goes from the open door position to the bath edge and the shower has an angled front so there is enough space to open fully, with only enough room for a hamper between the shower & toilet. The towel rails are on the back of the door.
  • PRO
    Remer
    5 years ago

I think a bath would suit the ensuite a bit more especially in your above comment where you said it was a wife requirement, from my personal experience kids tend to use showers way more than baths anyway (its only when theyre younger and need supervision theyll use the bath and then again when theyre teenagers and into those 'Lush' bathbombs lol) Is there a way to enlarge your ensuite a little more, and maybe give the kids bathroom a bigger shower? Also, two baths might get to be a hassle over time with cleaning, especially if one is not used very often.

• Pummers
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Remer, I have kids in both categories. I have one little one the will be using the bath and a tweeny that will want to be doing the bath bomb thing by the time this house is built and the teenager that will likely only ever use the shower...

• PRO
    Daniel Lindahl Architecture
    5 years ago

Hi Pummers, I like dreamer's idea of wet zone at the inner end of the bathroorm, it makes so much more sense and makes it all feel so much more spacious than having a shower cubicle just inside the door. I also totally agree with your concerns regarding mould and the uncleanable spaces around the modern trend of free-standing baths. Luxe Delta is a bath I have used on a couple of projects that has that look but addresses those concerns, with the modern shell look but in a corner.

• samrose18
    5 years ago

Having just renovated a bathroom and being unable to change the position of the shower...I would NEVER have a shower next to the door as you walk in if I had the choice.

Most often you are going into the bathroom to wash your hands, then having to walk past the shower to get to the basin. This means a narrow path past the shower plus over a bath mat or possibly a wet floor.

I think access to the basin should be the priority, with the shower on an external wall, preferably, so when it leaks it doesn't flood your hallway!!

• Laura Watson
    5 years ago

I would put a double sink in the ensuite, and make the shower standard size. How often do you really need a double shower?

• Laura Watson
    5 years ago

Also having a separate toilet, rather than in the main bathroom is a great idea.

Our main bathroom is set up the same with the shower door opening against the heated towel rail; it's annoying.

• Pummers
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Laura, As I said originally the layout was default buy the architect, I like larger shower, my current ensuite is 1500 wide and so is the shower.

There are other toilets in the house so, there is one in both the ensuite and main bathroom...

As for your towel rail issue... I'm also enough smart enough not to do that as I have renovated several bathrooms over the years and some have been as small as 6' square and have had towel rail issues in such small spaces.

• PRO
    Daniel Lindahl Architecture
    5 years ago

Hi Pummers, no architect worth that title would ever just provide a default plan. The architect's JOB is to discuss your needs and wants with you and work that into the design, often through a number of revisions until you are satisfied. If he/she doesn't do that, speak up about them not giving you proper architectural service.

I know about the problem of space for towel rails in a small bathroom. What I have done in such situations is to fit 2 towel rails on the back of the bathroom door, one at 900 and one at 1800 height. That usually works very well.

• oklouise
    5 years ago

another reason to use hinged doors wherever possible

• kbodman14
    5 years ago
    As this is your forever house, I would have concerns for the long term. An Universal Access code need to come into the plan so could have room for wheel chair or walker.

http://summerhousing.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/SH-Design-Guide-Part-B-5-Accessible-Bathroom-Ensuite.pdf. Gives some ideas. Wide doorways are needed. a shower area without a lip or glass panel/door. A toilet that allow ease of on/off.
  • kbodman14
    5 years ago
    Bathrooms
    Wise Ways to Grow Old With Your Bathroom
    There's no need to scrimp on style when you're planning a safe and accessible bathroom for your twilight years
    28/2/16
  • Pummers
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Daniel, I asked for a generic layout as I had no idea what I really wanted at the time the plans were originally draw up and the layout was in one of the same plans I had used from several designs... So it was from a commercial plan that is in use, just on a slightly longer and narrower space than in the original.

I played with several plans from a number of builders in the style I was after then took what I wanted and worked on a whole house layout, The bathroom layout was common to a number of designs.

• Pummers
    Original Author
    5 years ago

oklouise, are you referring to the the main access for or a hinged shower door WRT the towel rail discussion above?

• Pummers
    Original Author
    5 years ago

kbodman14, I have been looking at wider doors as I have the space in most rooms, though the house is two story and the only way possible to access the lower level is externally if you are in a chair of any sort.

• louiab
    5 years ago

Pretty much the same layout as your proposed plan. 3 teens use this successfully. It is 15 years old and not very “interesting“ style wise but very functional. Has worked from baby stage to now without issue.

• oklouise
    5 years ago

i was referring to the comment about the back of a door being a useful place for towel rails and, given the choice, i would not have a hinged shower door as they drip water on the floor

• PRO
    Cutting Edge Countertops, Inc.
    5 years ago

Installing a double sink vanity with that standard size shower. I agree with this idea @laurawatson

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.