stevemac2

Victorian Basement - Damp issues?

Steve Mac
5 years ago

After my recent purchase fell through, we settled on a Victorian terrace that has potential in the basement. We are considering turning this into a kitchen.

One issue that bothers me is damp. There is salt on the walls in the corner shown, especially around the range. Its is dry elsewhere, the concrete floor is also dry, as the utility room. In fact the areas currently stained, and salty, are dry, in the middle of winter. My gut feeling is that there is a lack of ventilation, combined with the boiler and associated pipes next to the window, and maybe the wrong plaster around the range which itself could have problematic material inside, old acidic ash.

There are two airbricks/grates in the utility which could explain the dryness in there, and potentially give me some comfort for the potential of the room, considering the utility room is the part most underground/retaining.

Ha anyone any thoughts? A local basement conversion company already wants to tank the place, dig up the concrete floor and install plasterboards everywhere at an extortionate cost.

Comment (1)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.