bayly_weeks

New home and Extension budget problems

Bayly Weeks
5 years ago
Hello all

I hope i can get some advice here.

So naively we bought our first home a year ago with the idea of doing a kitchen extension to the rear. We've had plans drawn and prior approval agreed and have had three quotes so far. The problem is the quotes have come in way over our budget. From at least 3 sources we we expecting to pay around 40k with a 10k buffer (incl VAT.) However our quotes have all come in at 55k excluding cost of the kitchen, flooring, white goods etc. This means we're looking at 70k to complete the project.

Not only do we not currently have the funds to complete the project but we would certainly not increase the value of our house enough to warrant spending such huge amount. It's a two bedroom terraced house in Bristol.

In truth we were pretty naive even though we thought we'd done our research. We really want a two bedroom house with a good sized kitchen diner but they don't seem to exist.

So I'm wondering what our options are? Do we:

Use our budget and compromise with a smaller kitchen diner? Even though we always wanted a big kitchen

Move? Our mortgage is transferable apparently

Save and do the extension anyway?

Any other suggestions ?

I must also add the cost of our extension includes fixing our roof As the flashing was poorly fixed by the previous owner and is causing damp in the rear bedroom. Every builder has also suggested replacing the felt and tiles are replaced

Please help if you can!

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.