webuser_382903216

Advice on on a kitchen extension for our new home

Andrea Turner
3 years ago

Hi all,

Partner and I have just exchanged contracts on our first home. 1930s, 3 bed semi-detached house in North London. Considering the house needs a complete renovation, we are thinking of getting a kitchen extension at the same time.

Houzz has been an amazing resource for getting ideas and we've come up with a potential design for the floor plan and would love some feedback!

Current ground floor:

Apart from the original house, a garage and side extension (utility room and toilet), as well as a conservatory has been added by previous owners.

Proposed ground floor:

So we are thinking of a few changes for the ground floor:

• Knock down the old conservatory and extend by 5/6 metres and move the kitchen into the extension, creating an open kitchen-diner
  • Knock through the rear wall of the dining room to join the kitchen-diner, creating an informal lounge
  • Put in a toilet-shower where the old kitchen was
  • Remove the old toilet to create a larger utility room

We have a budget of about, £80k and in addition to the above, we also need to:

• Redo all the flooring, walls and ceilings on both floors
  • Possibly redo all the plumbing and electrics if we are doing the above
  • New boiler
  • Some repair work on the roof might be needed
  • Knock down a wall in between the bathroom and toilet upstairs
  • 2 new bathrooms - upstairs and downstairs
  • Replace all the windows and maybe the garage door
  • Fit out 2 bedrooms with wardrobes

Would love any feedback on if you would do anything differently, especially the layout of the ground floor? Also do you think our budget will stretch to what we are hoping to achieve? Any other tips?

Andrea x

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.