webuser_939384880190045279

House Floor Plan Design Dilemma.

Louise
5 years ago

We moved into our 1920s bungalow 5yrs ago. A lot of work has been undertaken but it's still not quite working for us.
We are a family of with my elderly parents, so we split the bungalow in half & created an annexe for them.

We have full access under the house & can pretty much move pipework/water any where d/s.
U/s was already converted but we moved the stairs & extended the gable end to create an extra bedroom & a bathroom u/s.
We should have looked to raise the ridge or add dormers but we honestly thought it would be OK - but now we are struggling for space.

So options we have been considering :
Raise the roof, gain the extra space u/s, potentially maybe even a 4th bedroom - so kids could have a room each.
Current upstairs dimensions for the rooms that run parallel, one is 2.1 wide & 4.2 long, the other shorter room is 2.3 wide and about 3.7 long..

Next we have considered building a chalet in the garden for my parents, meaning we gain the extra floor space downstairs. Being open plan is great but as the kids grow its becoming obvious we need a quiet space.
Also we need to house a drum kit & piano. If I can get the drum kit in my sons bedroom then great but at the mo, because it's a shared room, there's no room for much other than the 2 beds.

Add a porch or a side extension & relocating the front door.
Driveway space is important but the current hallway doesn't work. It's 1.2 wide by 6 long. The kids fall over each trying to get shoes and coats off. You have to go out of the front door to say goodbye to people because it's not wide enough to have 2 people side by side.

So we're looking to reconfigure the layout. We were originally going to do it up and move but we've realised we love the location.
The views at the rear are great but as mentioned not a huge space on the drive to house a van & 3 cars meaning someone is always parked down the road (Country lanes so no parking at front).

We've added about 200k in value since we bought 5yrs ago, (mortgage valuation Dec18). It would cost us around 50k just to move, so prepared to spend at least this getting our forever home just right.

We need to retain an extra bedroom d/s as we host students for 9/12 mths.
We also need a d/s loo with shower, which gets used by them.
If we build a chalet in the garden, we would have to demolish the annexe bathroom extension to allow for a driveway from front to back.
The open plan area, the island is too big but I struggled with kitchen designs. We have been told our neighbour is considering an extension meaning the window will look at a wall.
We have to walk in front of the sofas/TV to get to the rear doors.
The rear doors in the living room desperately need replacement but we are trying to hold fire until we know what to do!

Any ideas, advice, inspiration all greatly welcomed.
I am looking to enlist the help of a pro from. Houzz but think we need a better idea of what we want /need first!!

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.