mkrzyz22

new home and not really my style. help needed!

terra bella
4 years ago

Hi! I’m moving this week and I love our new home but TBH, the kitchen isn’t really my style. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice, and I’m excited but French Country isn’t my forte. What can I do to give it a modern flare? Would I ruin the cabinets if I had them professionally painted? I like the black island but thoughts on paining cabinets cream, white or grey? And the light fixtures...I HATE them. Strong word but I hate frilly and scrolls.
Also, floors. Not a huge fan. Refinish? What color?
And finally. That fireplace. I’d like to paint, lower the mantle so a TV can go up there and build cabinets on each side. Would love a more rustic/modern mantle.
Ok, hit me with all your amazing ideas. Thanks

Comments (55)

• wardroplet
    4 years ago

Definitely paint the island, not sure what color. Modern pendant lights over island. Entire new backsplash. I actually think its a really pretty granite and will look good once the island changes color.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

You can throw a 12k minimum, off site pro paint job at the cabinets, change the backsplash, and change the lighting. You can refinish the floor and all the flooring that surrounds it. It may be brighter, it may make you happy. Either way, you've got a kitchen with 30k or more worth of appliances, 45 k or more worth of cabinetry. and not less than 10k of granite.

Live with it a while before you start hacking at it. Because if it isn't your thing? It isn't.Sounds like it ISN'T.

• Related Discussions

Need help with the outside of my house

Q

Comments (57)
    Agree with Oneplan about the glazed porch so you don't lose light, think you should let her draw up elevation plan for builders. Agree with people telling you to play up the asymmetry. Also think you should have a tame( not rampant) flowering climber up the posts around the porch. Something that tolerates shade. If has thorns may discourage kids climbing up on porch roof.
    ...See More

Help i need help styling my living room

Q

Comments (12)
    It may just be the photograph but to me it looks as though the floor should have been prepared (sanded down more). It always pays to spend good time on the preparation. The photo also looks like the room might be in shade for some part of the day so might be a bit dark, plus your having a dark sofa by the sound of it. perhaps sand the floors and go for a light or clear coloured sealer not too shiney. Perhaps look out for a large rug as if the room hasn't been soundproofed it could be noisey for the people below and echoey for you. Don't rush and as someone else indicated don't have too much large furniture. Check if you can buy nice blinds off the shelf that would be the right size, you can then get them more reasonably than made to measure.
    ...See More

New to styling... Need some help..

Q

Comments (2)
    Hello Nik, Just recently someone had the same dilemma, trying to find the 'right' style for a Living Room. That person actually wanted to combine Industrial Style with Art Deco, which could look pretty good and unique. I always say that in styling your house there is no right or wrong. With a bit of creativity and imagination you can bring out the best of your space that will represent your personal taste and style. You can pick from the following styles: Contemporary, Eclectic, Traditional, Mediterranean, Industrial, Country, Rustic, Scandinavian, Coastal etc. Industrial style is popular and fashionable. You already have nice, brick walls so just more things has to be added. Have you considered combining traditional with industrial style? or contemporary and industrial? The TV stand doesn't look alright and if I was you I would change the sofas too. You also got to think in colours that would suit your floor tiles, like white, beige, cream, yellow and I would think of red as well. Have you thought of adding some ornaments, industrial style wall art, canvas, posters? Some light installation could also enhance your space. Good Luck with your Project! StJames Design Interiors
    ...See More

Any one like to help/advise/style my (hopefully) new living room?

Q

Comments (19)
    Estate agent plan. Door and awkward corner on right side, current homeowners have main sofa on that wall. Gas flame fire and flue on top wall. TV point currently top left corner. Left wall (facing roughly SW) and bottom wall (facing roughly SE) have window and radiators.
    ...See More
  • Gcubed
    4 years ago

Depends on your budget, right? I also think changing the pendant lights will make a huge difference. I actually like your floors- maybe add a runner/rug before changing them right away.
    The granite isn’t bad and will look different if you change the backsplash I think.

• roccouple
    4 years ago

I wonder if it would be possible to take down the wood frame around the range. the Rest of the cabinetry isn’t super ornate or French country, just that section

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

I'd live with it for a while before doing anything. It looks to be fairly new, the appliances are upscale and the layout works. It's the finishes and styling that you don't care for, right?

Once you settle in and figure out your budget for the renovation, I'd suggest light painted cabinets, a new backsplash and a darker stained floor. Personally I'm not a fan of busy granite, so I'd probably replace that as well. The pendant lighting and chandelier are easy to change, so you might want to do those first.

As mentioned, though, budget is very important, and as you are moving into a new house, there will be unforeseen items that will pop up that require money to fix. So the best action right now is to stay the course.

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

You know, that's actually quite a lovely kitchen. Not nearly as egregious as some of them got.

The first thing is to spend some time living and working in that space. Figure out if they layout suits you, or if it's awkward. Because you don't want to spend a bunch of money on prettying up (an already pretty) space only to later find that you'd like to move some things around. Also determine how the storage situation works for you.

Then, yes, think about restaining the floors to make the variation a little less striking. I think that's fighting with the countertops (and a lot of other things). Paint the cabinets if you like - although I would probably omit the "espresso glaze" over the paint that was so popular when this look went it. (Really, whoever did this had a nice, restrained hand for the most part). But most people feel the glaze tend to look "dirty"

It did tend to get a little "over the top":

The hood IS a little much. You could probably swap it out for stainless if you want a more modern look. Or, if you like, you could take that whole kitchen a little more in the English Country direction by simplifying it into a mantle hood. If you're like me, you can't get into those cabinets without playing Treelo the Lemur and clambering up on the counters, anyway, so losing them might not be a big deal. Something like this:

Or this:

Or this:

Actually, I really kind of like that seaglass backsplash on the last one. Something like that might be pretty, especially if you paint the island some color other than black.

Lights-wise... what is your intent for style? Do you want to go more modern? Or more vintage? Groveraxle's suggestion is a nice, sleek piece. And there are lots of variants on that theme if you need another finish or shape.

Or, again, you could tippy-toe in the direction of something more vintage.

I am newly in love with this fixture, and trying to figure out if I can use it myself. Comes in multiple colors:

Installed, it looks like this:

Available here:
    http://www.thefrenchhouse.net/

Or an enamel light. (I'm not all that fond of clear glass, because I fight with dust and lose to the glass globes. YMMV)

Or mercury glass:

Be a bit cautious about lowering the mantle - check to see how far from the fireplace proper it needs to be so it doesn't get too hot.

Otherwise, were you thinking something like this:

Locally, I think the look is a little overdone. (There are lots of old barns, so everybody had to rush out and grab a beam...) Your current mantle reflects the very nice millwork in your kitchen.

Even if you lower it somewhat, you're still going to have the TV mounted higher than is comfortable. Although there is a product called "mantle mount" that lets the TV come forward and down/tilt for comfort when the fireplace is not in use. If you don't use the fireplace a lot, that could be a thought.

What is your style like, in general? What colors do you tend to prefer?

• carriedish
    4 years ago

I agree the fireplace needs updating. I would replace the lights in the kitchen and work on the fireplace, and leave the rest for later. You may decide the kitchen is ok once you get your own objects in there to pull your eye away from what you don't love. Great idea to paint the fireplace and add shelves. Do you follow @thebloomingnest on Instagram? I think she might give you some ideas for your fireplace wall. Good luck with your project!

• Lisa McLeod
    4 years ago

Have the perimeter cabs professionally painted, white or off white, change the pulls, get new pendants, paint the fireplace white,and I promise you, the entire thing will look different.

It’s a fabulous kitchen, you’re just seeing all that yellowish wood. With light cabs, you island will pop, the counters will coordinate, and your space will be amazing.

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

Normally I would say live with it for a while ..but I agree , I couldn't ! I would paint the entire kitchen black , take out the ornate backsplash with the square and (whatever it is inside) , behind the stove ...and replace it with stainless Steele ...then look again ..because then you know what to do with the backsplash ...I so like the same as the counter look ....LOVE your countertop.. And of course the lamps have to go ..you need something bigger and more modern ...take a look at what you can change now ...oh , also take that rounded molding off over the stove ...too much .. Think I would stay up all night sanding and painting the kitchen black and surprise my husband in the morning .

• teddytoo
    4 years ago

I personally wouldn’t paint the cabinets unless the granite is going as well. I would paint the island. For a smaller update, I would change the back splash, lose the medallion, change the drawer pulls, and change the lights throughout the whole space.The fireplace I would reface with stone or tile that gives it a look you love.

So maybe a totally crazy thought, what about changing the stain on the cabinets to match the island and then go white or light with the backsplash, change the drawer pulls to a chrome and new light fixtures. The space is really open and light so it might lean a little less French country. Then go in the more nod to modern on the fireplace. Any chance of refinishing the floors to a more blonde/Scandinavian light oak with less yellow?

• PRO
    terra bella
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh my gosh, y’all. So many amazing ideas!! So much to think about. I never even thought about black cabinets, huh!!! I’d worry that would make the space too dark. But kinda like the idea. What about gray or blue?

First thinks first will change the lights out.
    My style is more modern straight lines but cozy. I love blues and greys and the beachy feel. Love the more modern/industrial looking lights with a bit of glam thrown in.
    I can live with these counter tops. Way over the budget to change that unless i win the lottery. My main issues are the lights(easy fix and I LOVE that first example from Grover), and that god awful backsplash. What would work there? Again, I like simple. And the floors are too severe with diff wood colors going on. I don’t mind a lighter wood just not all the variation. But I am drama to a grayer wood but not sure that would work here.
    Is there someone that can show me what the cabinets would look like painted with a diff back splash?
    LOVE that picture with the painted fireplace and rustic beam. Exactly what I was thinking except with less brick red showing through.
    Keep the ideas coming. Love them!!!

• PRO
    terra bella
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Found this that I like.

• PRO
    terra bella
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Some other pics. Love these pendants. Love the pic showing the white cabinets, blue island and the nice grey/brown floors.

• P.D. Schlitz
    4 years ago

Not a pro/expert, and am not usually a proponent of painting wood— but I do think the kitchen has too many competing elements of similar tones and not enough contrast. I think Beverly and Holly are on the right track: professionally painting the cabinets a muted blue, gray, or green might be something to think about (along with changing lights and backsplash)— it still might not be your own personal style, but embracing what’s there and just brightening/incrementally updating would make a more contemporary space that you at least appreciate/ enjoy being in. I also think that if the cabinets were a uniform color, the wood floors would work much better and actually look intentional (I also wonder how much of the floors’ variation is just their natural grain and whether re-staining, unless going fairly dark, would work). Good luck!

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Omigosh.....the kitchen is the most expensive room to start changing! And that is one very large, expensive kitchen. If you hate it the kitchen, why did you buy the house?
    Okay, be calm. French Country isn’t my favorite either.
    Maybe the FC doesn’t extend beyond the kitchen.
    Start with the easy things:

1. The pendant lights are easily changed to something simpler.
    2. A tile professional can remove the bullseye over the range and put in something less dramatic.
    3. Simple runner rugs can add some color on the floor and offer a comfortable place to stand while doing prep work and other kitchen chores.
    4. Live with the rest of the kitchen for a year. It may grow on you. Maybe it is so well-planned that cooking is more enjoyable than it was in your previous kitchen.
  • Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

What can I do to give it a modern flare?

What defines modern is clean - clean lines, large expanses of monochormatic surfaces - no frills, nothing busy.

Would I ruin the cabinets if I had them professionally painted? I like the black island but thoughts on paining cabinets cream, white or grey? - Why paint - the cabinets are neither overly busy, ornate or patterened. They are not creating the non-modern feel.

And the light fixtures...I HATE them. Strong word but I hate frilly and scrolls.

yes - change the light fixtures to something simple.

Also, floors. Not a huge fan. Refinish? What color?

Not sure that you can refinish and get a more monochromatic feel. If you refinish you are still very likely to have some pieces that soak in the finish and others that don't.

I’m not a HUGE fan of the granite and especially not the bullseye backsplash but my hubby likes them so they are staying.

The counter is huge and heavy and busy. There is nothing clean or modern about the counter and you cannot create a modern feel while this is dominating your kitchen.

And finally. That fireplace. I’d like to paint, lower the mantle so a TV can go up there and build cabinets on each side. Would love a more rustic/modern mantle.

I agree with lowering the mantle, and if it were my fireplace I would change the mantle out to a simple live edge wood slab, but I would not place the TV over the fireplace for 2 reasons. First - the TV is too high when placed over a mantle, you want to have the center of the TV at eye level when seated. Second, the heat from the fireplace will ruin the electronics.

I don't often agree with painting brick, but to add a more modern feel you cannot have both a busy floor and a busy fireplace, so one or the other must be changed. Painting the fireplace is the less expensive option. Covereing the brick with tile, drywall, or other materials is another option.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Me again.
    Also replace the ceiling fixture over the family dining area. That thing is too busy.
    The feature which bothers me the most is the multi-toned flooring....added to all the cabinetry, it’s just too too much. I would put two large simply-patterned area rugs in the family room and the family dining area to lessen the expanse of flooring.
    Add some framed art where you can to bring some color to the walls. Window treatments can also add some non-wood color, too.
    Post photos again when you have made your selected improvements.

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

OP, could you maybe get us a better photo of the countertops? That might help, too.

So, are we thinking kind of "coastal transitional" style? (Yes, I made that up. Why not? Everybody else seems to do it) Cool colors, washed down tones, cleaner lines, etc?

Do we know what the wood floors ARE? Hickory would be my guess, but they could be a character grade maple, I suppose. That will dictate a lot of what can be done with them. Minimizing the variations/changing the tones could happen in two ways. 1. a darker stain with a greenish tone to it that would knock back the orange/yellow (some of that could be the finish, as well. Some poly finishes can be very yellow). 2. Bleach with lye an apply a white or grey toned hard wax oil finish. This will leave you with a floor that has a more bare, "natural wood" appeal, but will need a little more care to live with.

Upside, re-oiling is easier than refinishing a poly floor.

Here is a review of Rubio Monocoat, with some of their available colors:

https://napervillehardwood.com/blog/the-hardwax-oil-experiment-part-2-monocoat/

And here is the site for Woca, another manufacturer. They also have sample colors and also have the lye bleach products available if you really want to take down the color in that floor:

https://www.wocadirect.com

I lack the photoshop skillz to plant these in your kitchen, but here are a few thoughts.

Here is a much more ash-toned floor, with greyish blue cabinetry: The simple white 'splash helps it to feel fresh.

Now, green is a favorite color of mine, and often actually works really well with orange and red tones. And a simplification of the hood like this would work nicely in your kitchen, too.:

Another version, with cooler floors and a marble 'splash:

For some reason, I really am digging this shade of green. Although probably just on the island, since I think it would be too much for a whole kitchen that doesn't have windows directly in it:

One last idea, and I don't know if your budget would stretch to this: If you did the perimeter cabs in a white/cream that goes with that granite, and the island in green or blue, you might see if you could do a butcherblock countertop on just the island. Now, I'm not normally a fan of wood and water in proximity. (I cringe when I see drainboards cut into wood countertops). But they DO make drainboard sinks:

In fact, I've seen one (and can't find the image, now) with a drainboard on each side and enough space IN the sink to mount the faucet through it.

So you could have something sort of like this:

Or this:

And my personal favorite, since I love those fresnel lens pendants:

• samondragon
    4 years ago

French Country is not your thing & never will be plus your kitchen is an overdone & overbearing take on what someone saw as French. I lived in Europe & never saw a French kitchen like that. If you can't stand any part of this French look, you're looking at gutting the entire space. I'm not a professional designer & have no specifics to offer, can't photo shop, but I do like Holly Stockley's pics above...as well as the pics others sent in. I think you can turn this around. New backsplash & counter tops, new lighting. I don't like the bulky nature of all that cabinetry around & above the stove. See what you can do to simplify that & add a more modern hood. Somehow, paint the fireplace bricks (paint, a wash, etc). Lower the mantel & get a new one. I'm torn on the black island. With the other changes, the black might not be so bad. Floor is OK. Add some runners as someone else suggested. If you are even somewhat into the French look, browse through pics of French Country, French Farmhouse, Modern French Farmhouse, etc.

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

I have mixed feelings about this one, but I've never seen it done, and thought I'd throw it out there. If you could tolerate an increase in the height of your work surface, you might be able to get a talented carpenter to do this:

• User
    4 years ago

Spend the 12K to have the cabinets professionally coated with a conversion varnish (NOT paint!) and the 8K to change out the counters to quartz, and the 3K to get rid of that hood and replace it with something stainless, and the 15-30K to sand down and refinish all the floors in the whole house, and the 2-4K on all new lighting that includes under cabinet lighting, and, and, and,......

Or keep 50K in your pocket and learn to live with it until you have a better master plan than a rushed one that doesn’t really address anything but cosmetics and that will add zero value for that 50K spent. You don’t change the bones of a home without spending a LOT of money. Changing something that has existing bones that are exactly the opposite of your personal taste is very very expensive. And it will increase your home’s Value by exactly 0. It’s a vanity EXPENSE, only.

• PRO
    terra bella
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok, so I apologize if I made it sound like I HATE this house. I don’t. I actually love it and am over the moon. That being said...is the kitchen what I would’ve designed if I were building something?! No. That being said, can I live with the kitchen the way it is? Absolutely! But is it my style?! Nahhhh. Do I want to change things? Sure! Do I regret buying this house? NO WAY!!!
    So, just trying to get ideas for a simple fix. Do I want to spend 50k fixing the kitchen? Nope. I just want to make it a bit more ‘me’. And maybe all that will entail at the moment is changing out the light fixtures and painting the fireplace to start. Believe me...we looked at a TON of houses for 6 months and I saw a lot of houses I COULD NOT live in. So I really don’t feel like I ‘settled’ and I certainly don’t regret my purchase. Sometimes what’s available isn’t completely what is desired but there are reasons you must buy something. And I can’t afford to build from scratch. So no, I have zero regrets about this home, just asking some advice on paint/lights/possible floor changes, etc.
    I’ve enjoyed reading a lot of the great tips posted, thank you.

• Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

start with easy cheaper cosmetic changes you can do yourself. live with everything for awhile to really see what works and what doesn't. it may surprise you. we moved into our new home a year ago. I wasn't crazy about the cabinets or layout of the kitchen but now really love them. they grew on me. we changed cabinet hardware and painted walls and that worked for me. I also like your island and granite but I'm not crazy about the tile backsplash. I would change it before replacing cabinets. I would change the lighting and cabinet hardware and bring in color with rugs and accessaries then think about major changes

• PRO
    terra bella
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Maybe pairing the backsplash tile is a possibility?

• PRO
    terra bella
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My last post was suppose to say painting backsplash might be a possibility

• emmarene9
    4 years ago

Don't paint the cabinets, you have too many and the cost will be high.

I would consider doing something with those high school gymnasiums floors. Is that throughout the house?

Paint the island a not too bright off white.

It is actually a nice kitchen and the granite is pretty.

• PRO
    terra bella
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ha! I like your description of the floor, that’s perfect. They are throughout the first floor only. Good idea on just painting the island that would brighten things up a lot!

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Without knowing your budget...I think the biggest game changer would be new doors and side panels in a more flat , simple contemporary style...also a less shiny finish would be good as well...

• lindastein
    4 years ago

following...

• wmsimons85
    4 years ago

I apologize that I haven’t yet read all of the comments yet and someone may have probably mentioned this already but this isn’t French country in my opinion. Especially with all the scrolling iron fixtures and the backsplash, I would say that it’s Tuscan. A really nice and solid kitchen, It just feels a bit heavy, lightening it up will go a long way. I wonder if it would be that expensive to paint the cabinets? We had our doors replaced with shaker and sprayed white. I really wanted simple. The carcasses were in good condition and the layout good and already white. So wasn’t a big job really.

Love most of Holly Stockley’s images! Will be interesting to see what you decide to do.

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

I might be giggling over the cabinet "carcasses" for the rest of the evening!

Thank you, wmsimons85, for the mental image on that one.

(Forgive me. I just finished binge watching Stranger Things 3)

• calidesign
    4 years ago

They look like very good quality maple cabinets. To update without spending a fortune, I would just change the light fixtures and put in a new backsplash. A very simple off white or cream subway tile so it doesn't compete with that granite. If it's in the budget, I would change and backsplash and go with solid light quartz countertops. I would do all that before changing the main cabinets. I think you can get away with painting the island though since it is already painted. I would use a cream color taken from the granite. Just the island, lights, and backsplash would give you a whole new look for not a lot of money. Don't change the fireplace to put the TV there. The TV is currently in the best location to the right of the fireplace- it just needs to be slightly lower.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

This kitchen, albeit serviceable, is neither Tuscan nor French country. I don't think you would find it in Italy or France. It's an ersatz 1990s-early 2000s American interpretation of what those styles are. The real deals are much more beautiful and interesting.

This is a traditional Tuscan kitchen:https://amazingaccom.com/luxury-accommodation/italy/tuscany/15th-century-aristocratic-manor

and this:https://amazingaccom.com/luxury-accommodation/italy/tuscany/15th-century-aristocratic-manor

And here is a blog post about what is and is not a French country kitchen:

https://laurelberninteriors.com/2018/05/29/phony-french-country-kitchens/

• Pete Global
    4 years ago

Go with your own taste . Your first thought was to keep the black island ...it is for a reason ...ITS STUNNING ! I would paint the entire kitchen black and you would have a drop dead gorgeous kitchen .... Gray and beige or other colors would stick out too much and would muddle the great look you could have here ...! It's a large kitchen and black would be gorgeous ...and no it's not too dark ..but beautiful . You just have to have some spot lights ..highlighting what you need ..and a great chandelier ..GO BOLD ! And be the envy of us all having to great kitchen !!!!!! Someone said it before black is right ...don't wait and live with it , and ...enjoy !

• PRO
    terra bella
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m very intrigued by the black kitchen!! Something to think about for sure and different then the white kitchen that everyone seems to have!!!

• wmsimons85
    4 years ago

I think that could be gorgeous!

• PRO
    Italian Kitchen Studio
    4 years ago

Hello
    I think your kitchen is absolutely okay
    You can change the cabinets only
    White is very popular but what you think about
    Monserat collection from Marchicucine

• PRO
    Italian Kitchen Studio
    4 years ago

I hope you can look at it and please let me know how we can help you to get absolutely the high quality kitchen furniture for unbelievable lower price

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

Love the mirror….

Interiors · More Info

Lake Point Kitchen Renovation · More Info

Black/charcoal gray?

• PRO
    terra bella
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Those are STUNNING!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

mkrzy,,,my custom cabs are similar in style to what you have. leans more tuscan w/fluted molding, very similar golden granite etc. It's a very nice kitchen but I'm so over it. All the fluffy molding, caps and corbels (you really can't see them in this pic) will be removed.

Floors are already demoed and will be a wide plank french oak in a lighter tone.

Window will be a black double french casement.

Pendants are going!

I'm doing the island in the wrought iron w/this marble

The perimeter will be white cabinets with a light gray quartz. backsplash, TBD. I'm doing walnut inserts on the island (and walnut open shelving on the coffee bar area)

appliances will look like this.

quite a change, eh? So, at first I was just going to have the cabinets painted w/some custom modification for more drawers in the island, and a micro w/the wall oven. custom hood too. He's doing a conversion lacquer finish. I've since decided to do all new door and drawer fronts in a simple shaker. (it was only 2K more). they will be solid wood rails, but MDF panels (which hold paint better than if my wood doors were to be painted). Expect to spend a good chunk if you go this route. It's also ton of work.

There was nothing wrong w/my current kitchen, but after 15 years of looking at it, I want something else. I really don't care what anyone else thinks about it, I'm the one cooking in there every day. So, if you feel that strongly about it and plan on being there awhile, do what you want. Your granite is actually pretty nice and would look great w/the white cabinets. The backsplash, however, would need to go!

check back w/me in a month if you want to see my finished space.

your floors will look nicer if you paint the cabinets and fireplace. you also need a less frou-frou mantel. If you don't want to paint the brick, at least bring in a solid wood mantel

I'd also add some built-ins on either side like shown here

• Meg
    4 years ago

Agree with many of the comments on here...change the light fixtures, redo the mantel, then wait a while and see how you feel. Once you move in, you’ll be so busy setting up the rest of your house that you might not even think about bigger changes for a long time. I do think it can be worth spending money, even significant money, on remodeling the kitchen down the road. It’s not all about resale or getting back what you put in...enjoying your own home is certainly worth investing in as well. Congrats on your beautiful new home!

• Lucia Askijian
    4 years ago

We are in the same boat! The kitchen of our new house is very traditional with standard oak cabinets and beige wall paint. I plan on painting the walls of my kitchen a dark gray, painting the perimeter cabinets white, painting the island a navy blue. Add/change all hardware to either gold or black. Add pendant lights above the island.

As for your kitchen, I really like your granite. If I was you, I'd do something similar, paint the walls gray, paint the perimeter cabinets white or light gray. I actually don't mind the black island so much, but it is VERY BLACK and appears to be very shiny. I think once you paint the cabinets white then the ornate details of the doors won't stand out so much. Then, depending on how much you're willing to invest in this, I would look into getting rid of the ornate dental (?) molding and try to replace with a simpler line. Also, perhaps replace the little fake columns next to the stove and sink. Personally, if you go with a cooler tone in the cabinets and wall, then the backsplash would probably need to go too. And then, if the backsplash/medallion above the stove is going, I would eliminate some of the cabinetry around the stove and put a simple steel hood above. I would save money and leave the floors as is.

I hope this is helpful. But I agree with you, the brown cabinets are ugly.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

There is a huge difference between custom maple cabinets and builder grade oak cabinets.

• Kathi Steele
    4 years ago

Following

• P.D. Schlitz
    4 years ago

On second thought- maybe paint the island a color that coordinates with a new backsplash + change light fixtures and see how it feels? You could then decide if you wanted to paint rest of your cabinets or swap counters for something more clean/modern in feel. We had an all-wood kitchen in our last house (craftsman bungalow) and really embraced it- it was a very warm and homey space.

• petula67
    4 years ago

This same scenario happened to me. We bought a new house with a huge, elegant, mid-to-late 2000s-renovated kitchen that just wasn't my style. The cabinets were a pale, caucasian flesh-colored wood that could either read pink, peach, or off-white depending on conditions. Ick, I thought. I was rabid to rip them out or paint them all white, but it wasn't really feasible at the time. Now five years later, we're finally starting some renovations. What's staying? The funny-colored cabinets. I've grown to appreciate them and am so happy I left them alone. They're still hard to work around, but that's making my kitchen project even more fun because of the challenge. And reading the recent thread Why Does Every Kitchen Look the Same, started by cpartist, makes me feel much better about my decision (even though lots of people would still probably vote to paint them if I posted pictures).

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

Isn't the HOUZZ group wonderful ??!?!!!! I love to hear other people's opinion and think that everybody has a good point with their suggestions ...and that is all it is ...more often than not the HOUZZERS give food for thought and reaffirm once own feel ...I hope you can think about a black kitchen in this case ....painted the same way as the island ! To my eye it can't get more dramatic , Gorgeous or drop dead fantastic than that . Especially with the floor ! I can't wait to see the rest of your wonderful house .. You can even repeat the black around the fireplace ...with black bookshelves , maybe a slab of black marble ..then it will all fit so wonderful ...when gazing around your home . ! YES , I can see it now !

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.