mareepsasja

What colour for a dark north-facing bedroom?

Maree Persen
4 years ago

Hi there

I have been researching what colour to paint a small-ish third bedroom. It faces north and gets very limited daylight. The people who lived here before us chose this as the only room to paint in a cool-toned pale lilac/blue colour, when the rest of the house is painted in cream tones! (WHY????)

I keep seeing conflicting advice - I know that painting it white is a no-no (too cold, too stark), and I'm a fan of dramatic dark colours but I do hesitate when the rest of our (rented) bungalow is painted in neutral tones. Would dark colours feel like re-entering a womb?! I have a young child coming to stay next year and I think very dark tones would scare her :-) But I'm happy to be convinced otherwise.

Can anybody recommend a warm grey?

Some sites say to use warm tones (eg peach / cinnamon) but others - quite rightly, I feel - say that such colours can be very hard to live with.

Just found another site that said to use an off-white with a small amount of green in it... to my mind, that would be so wrong!

All advice gratefully accepted...

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.