Architect or interior designer for full refurb?

Rich G
last year
last modified: last year


Trying to work out if I need an architect or an interior designer.

We are refurbishing a house in Hove, East Sussex, it needs everything, windows, plumbing, electrics etc.

I need someone to pull the project together in terms of not only what colours etc. we go for, but flooring, where to layout furniture, plug sockets, lighting. Also do we re-use the old skirting, what style of windows to go for. We might have to move a door to get a good layout in the front room.

We are (most likely) knocking a wall & chimney down to create an open plan kitchen / diner.

Proposed rear layout, although we might consider a small extension as knocking down the chimney is super expensive.

It would be great to give something to the builders to work from.

This is why I’m confused about which service I need, happy to take recommendations, I’ve looked at online interior designers but they seem to charge per room, which is not what we’re looking for.

Looking forward to your comments!

Thanks. Rich

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.