greenbeanie8

Glazing in South West Facing Kitchen Extension

greenbeanie8
4 years ago

We're starting our extension next year but I'm really worried about it ending up too hot. Currently when the sun shines (in Summer months) I have to put a parasol up in the garden to block the sun as the kitchen gets too hot to be in.

We have the opportunity to change sizes of doors / roof lights now to minimise heat and can't afford to get it wrong.

We're hoping to have Crittall style doors on the back so we won't want to cover those with blinds as they will be an expensive feature and I can't see any internal covering that would do them justice.

Current thoughts -

Making rooflight smaller - will this impact the light too much? Currently it will be split into 3 sections with two ends that open and will have solar control coating. How small could we go without losing too much light?

Air conditioning - a neighbour has but I'm not sure I want a huge unit sitting on the wall.

Currently the back wall is shown as two sets of French Doors and although we were thinking of changing this to bifolds I'm thinking that keeping them smaller will be a help. Plus also not a fan of bifolds!

Some sort of sunshade attached to outside

Anyone done anything similar. Any professionals who can advise.

Thank you!

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.