anees_rana

Rendering a Victorian house - keeping it 'in keeping' but also modern

Anees Rana
4 years ago

Hi, I am currently working on the complete renovation of a large Victorian Villa that is to become our family home. The property was originally built in the 1739 but then was knocked down and rebuilt in around the 1850s. I actually have a picture of it from 1854:

Anees' ideas · More Info

The house was a project when we bought it (didn't realise quite how much needed doing) and we found so many issues that have had to be rectified ("joy" of an old house I suppose). We have also done significant amounts of steel work including an extension all across the back of the house to make a large family/kitchen room and also removed all the walls in the basement to make one large space that is flexible for future use. We have a long way to go but are currently working on completing the roof - discovered it was all rotten (!) - so the whole lot has been replaced - new timbers, joists as well as felt and battern and many new reclaimed welsh slates! Here is a picture from a few years ago (via Google maps)

Anees' ideas · More Info

The plan now is to get the new windows fitted (gone black flush casement windows which look very much like timber) and then the property rendered before the weather really turns (hoping weather is kind) so the house is watertight and then the inside work can carry on over the winter months. The house currently looks like this:

Anees' ideas · More Info

Anees' ideas · More Info

We have pitched the roof over the main entrance to avoid long term issues with the old flat roof design - the roofers suggested it since the existing roof valley was too small and nowhere really for the water to go - it was going to leak again after a few years so decided to act now.

My dilemma now is making it look good externally when rendered.

The colour selected at the moment is called Connie from the Johnstons Render system - it is an off-white with a slight hint of grey which I think would compliment the black windows nicely.

- The windows are all black with glazing bars to make them look more traditional.

- The stone cills are either being filled, sanded and painted in stone match paint or being replaced with new cills (same colour) - all are an off-white colour.

- The cornicing detail at the top is all being cleaned up, filled and most likely painted in a natural stone colour - colour matched to the stone I have bought.

- A large stone with the house name engraved in a traditional victorian font is going on the top too.

Anees' ideas · More Info

In the picture above, the wall with the two blocked up windows and area above the main entrance door (window being removed) are all just going to be white with no windows or other details to break up. The renders said it could look a abit like a "sugar cube"! There will be a traditional stone porch on the main door (black door in pic above) towards the end of the build so that will partially take your eye off the plain white wall. The renders have suggested adding something to the plain walls, maybe doing some form of cladding or maybe a two-tone render to break it up a little! I am not sure at all - I just want whatever we do to be in keeping with the Victorian heritage of the house.

My builder says he thinks I have enough stonework and I am worrying about nothing! I would like to see what you think on here with your experienced eyes! Looking forward to your opinions!

Thanks

Anees

Comments (14)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.