janebakerphysio

Help reconfiguring a ground floor conversion flat in London

J B
4 years ago

Creative designers - would love your thoughts

I have a ground floor conversion flat in SW London. It is the typical layout and the side return has not been done. I got planning in 2014 but for finances did not do it but it was approved. I revisited it last year but quotes have come in top to tail (includes kitchen/bathroom etc) around £150k give or take ( London prices are breathtaking). - I know some people won;t believe it but I've done the research.

The biggest issues I have is that there is no entertaining space. When I'm home alone I sit at the sofa but with the separate kitchen it's hard to even have people round for drinks let alone dinner. Having done the sums I can;t afford the side return as as I am planning on living here for a while I'm not overly worried atm about doing changes and not reaping loads of money out of it - I want a great flat where friends can come round.

The challenge is the back "bedroom is 2.5mx2.5m and the upstairs flat has a roof terrace on it - it's theirs in the lease....

So - I have drawn out probably 20 different permutations within the available size restrictions and come up with the design below. I know the architects and designers will prob say - no, that's crazy, you should save, take a loan and do the full side return, wait and save the money but that's not a option - i need to do something now as I've been here for 7 years and not done anything.... the side return section is 7mx2m

I have a basement which is storage for my bikes.skis and kite surf kit - washer and dryer and I'm reluctant to put anything here due to expense etc.

Creative brains......

Screenshot existing - the first plans are existing. The second set my idea after multiple permutations of trying to reconfigure the current structure and I don;t want the bedroom at the back...

I could also add a garden room. I have a 38 foot garden.

I would be very interested in any creative suggestions!

(Reposted with a better layout picture)

Comments (19)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.