webuser_948083896

Opening centre of house for connection between front and back rooms?

Joe
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We are in the design stage of re-modelling the inside of our house to move the kitchen to the back and living room to the front (currently the living room is at the back and kitchen at front). We have made a 3D model of our basic design which involves a straight swap between the two rooms.

This is the first design on the left. It shows the stairs (in yellow) in between, separating the two rooms. As part of the basic re-design, the stairs have been moved towards the front room to the other side of the stair void in order to increase the space in the kitchen. (However the stair position can't really be moved away from the stair void - which cuts across the front and back room - without a lot of extra work changing upstairs rooms. And we don’t have the budget for that). The standard door positions to each room remain unchanged from what they are now.

I was worried that the two rooms would feel very separate, and so I came up with the second design (on the right) which shows a wider entrance to the kitchen and the door to the front room set at 45 degrees. We imagine a sliding door in the kitchen entrance, and maybe double doors into the front room. So the rooms can still be separated by closing the door, but become more connected when the doors are open. So the space immediately seems more flexible.

The advantage of the second design is that there is more of a connection (albeit a small one) between the living room and kitchen - you can stand in one and have a sense of what is happening in the other, plus you can sit on the sofa in the front room and see into some of the kitchen and even down into the garden.

Also the area at the bottom of the stairs will be much bigger and allow people to circulate more easily. Finally there will be a lot more light coming into the front room which is dark and north facing.

The disadvantage is the extra cost, as it will involve putting in a steel to support an internal beam which rests right in the centre of the new kitchen doorway. Extra cost estimate is £1.5-2k more. Also it will take away storage space in the kitchen as there will be less back wall for storage units / fridge etc. Also the level of connection between the rooms is small – is it worth the extra cost? I wish we could move the entire staircase to another part of the house but that just isn’t an option with our budget.

What do you think?

Many thanks!

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.