jonny63

Akward, curved garden with a family-friendly vibe

jonny63
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We've just bought a house with a slightly awkward, curved garden. What we've tried to do is come up with something which embraces the curve, creates a relaxing space for my wife and I and has enough going on to keep the kids (aged 4 and 6) entertained - if they're not, we won't be relaxing.

We've had the initial concept back from the landscaper, and on the whole we're really happy with the design. Here it is:

The thinking was to have a paved patio area large enough to accommodate a dining set and a separate seating area. There is a playhouse (albeit it looks more like a small shed in the image) for the kids in the top, square corner. Then we've got a separate, circular decked area for additional chillout / dining space with, shadowed a small pergola.

Let me explain the pergola. The reason it's there, bear with me, is because the kids are desparate to have a swing in the garden. Trouble is, if we plonk a conventional swing in the middle of the garden it's going to take up a lot of space and if our previous garden is anything to go by, destroy the grace where they push off with their feet.

As such, my plan was to take a creative solution and do something like in the following photo, whereby you have a detachable swing that hangs from the pergola

A Family Garden in the New Forest · More Info

On reflection, here are the potential issues / concerns I have about our design:

1. I had originally envisaged a round pergola, with posts going through the decking. However, we'd had to shrink the round deck down in size to acommodate a deeper patio. As such, we have a rectangular pergola, but it doesn't seem like there will be sufficient space for the kids to swing backwards. We can make the pergola deeper, but then the front posts will protrude onto the grass which will look untidy. I'm trying to think of a creative solution, such as an additional detachable bracket that would allow the swing to sit further forward or changing the shape of the pergola, but I can't quite picture how this wouldwork.
  2. Does the patio area look 'right' or is it too deep at it's deepest point. What would you do with it?
  3. We have some dead space between the playhouse and the round deck and raised beds. What would you do - perhaps another flower bed?

Thoughts appreciated! :)

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.