webuser_165142628

How to expand a small kitchen renovation ideas

Faith
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I am thinking of purchasing this property and would like to know what options I have for making the kitchen more suitable for modern living. The property is a victorian semi-detached farmhouse built ca. 1867.

The kitchen is small and u-shaped. The current owners have the fridge in the lean-to by the door to the kitchen, and the washing machine is situated in the former outside toilet space.

Our priority would be to have space in the kitchen for the fridge and a couple more countertops, without it feeling as cluttered as it is now. I do like the aesthetics/space of a L-shaped kitchens vs U shape for example. I enjoy cooking and baking from scratch so versatile workspace is a must.

We would ideally like to do this with a smaller budget (though we are open to more expensive overhauls) and in a way that is as sympathetic to the property as possible. The sink and window in the outhouse toilet for example is original, and we would ideally like to keep it, but is not a deal-breaker if the best way would be to expand into the outhouse.

We would like to keep/have a downstairs toilet, and a space for the washing machine (either in the kitchen or in a utility room).

We are considering expanding the kitchen into the lean-to or the dining room, (or both) or making the whole space north of the stairs open plan. There is a possibility to extend into the garden, but would rather not do this. I would like to know what you suggest are the best options for the space, and the most cost effective in terms of adding value for when/if we do need to sell in the future.

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.