paul_sims31

narrow Georgian House

Paul Sims
10 days ago

Help ! We have bought a wonderful but narrow Georgian House on the south coast of England. The challenge is that the living area is 8’11 wide and we cant expand it. The plan is to open up the kitchen and remove the bathroom. Any ideas or photos great fully received !!

Comments (23)

• Nicola
    10 days ago

Hi Paul,

Do you have a floorplan? The third photo you posted doesn't seem to be showing up... perhaps that was a floorplan.

• Paul Sims
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Yes it was. I’ll try again

• Nicola
    10 days ago

Perfect, it's showing now! Could you perhaps add glazing on the wall between the hallway so it gives the illusion of more space and adds lots of light? It doesn't necessarily have to be crittall but hard to find photo examples with plain glazing. It could be half-height so your sofa can still go against the wall. I wanted to do this is our house.

• Nicola
    10 days ago

Another option, if you have the budget, is it to maybe move the kitchen to the current dining room, then have your lounge where the kitchen was, saving the smaller room at the front for a separate dining room. As the current dining room is long, you would probably have space for a lovely galley kitchen with a smaller casual dining nook in the bottom right-hand corner.

It depends where you plan on spending most of your time?

• Paul Sims
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Interesting.... we’re intending to live in it a few months before doing the work to get a feel for the house. The idea of using the front room as a dining area might well work particularly if we opened up the wall between that and the kitchen.
    Really appreciate the ideas !

• embzop
    10 days ago

There were some interesting ideas on a similar size house on George Clarke's 'Old House, new home' - Season 2 Episode 2. Might be worth having a look for some inspiration.

• Paul Sims
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thanks embzop. Good nudge

• E D
    10 days ago

Gorgeously Georgian. 👌

The inside doesn't quite match the exterior yet it seems.

But I’m sure the house is in good hands...

Please keep us posted.

• minnie101
    10 days ago

lovely House, I like the lamp post too 😂

I assume you’re referring to what is labelled as the dining room to be used as living?

i would just do something like this in terms of layout. It’s not the best example as I would include a striped rug going from long wall to long wall. It doesn’t need to be an obvious stripe, the existing owners rug is good. I’d also raise the curtain pole and have them wall to wall as it should also make the room feel wider. A mirror on a long wall will also have the same effect. It may also be an idea to have a sofa colour that doesn’t have too much contrast with the wall colour and choose one that is on legs, seeing the floor beneath will make it feel bigger. Glass coffee/side tables are also good

• Paul Sims
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thanks Mini, definitely adding that to the ideas book !

• Jen
    9 days ago

These are great suggestions Londonfatcat. I especially like the first layout, which is flexible and well considered, and would be wonderful to live in. (Although it would be even better with a tiny tweak. Can you suggest a different position for the cloakroom, or its door, so that the immediate view on entering the the house is of something other than a toilet?)

Fabulous house, Paul. Let us know what you decide to do!

• Victoria
    9 days ago

Is the house listed? It’s really important to know before you embark on any major projects 😊

Paul Sims thanked Victoria
  • PRO
    Londonfatcat
    9 days ago

Hi Hu,

Thanks for your appreciative comments! And noted your suggestion too. These are the kind of back and forth discussions I have with clients and it's certainly easier to explain the thinking with direct dialogue.

The bathroom facing into the hallway is recommended over facing into a living space. I've attached a photo of door treatments to make the bathroom feel more designed and integrated. I would recommend a full height door.

Flipping over the plan would indeed mean a longer vista from the entrance door but it would mean losing the side access door, something I do not recommend. The area would be darker, losing the skylight too. Another area to put the bathroom is drawn up but as you can see, it opens up into a living space which is unpleasant. However this is down to personal taste and I'm sure there lies a solution in the mix! All the best :)

• Paul Sims
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Hi Victoria -Interestingly it the only Georgian house in he street not to be listed . It was originally an Ale House dating back to 1820

• Paul Sims
    Original Author
    9 days ago

thanks Fatcat - great ideas - we'll relook at the measurements - I like the idea of using that space rather that it becoming a corridor

• E D
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Interesting your house isn’t listed. Perhaps because it has been altered quite a bit inside and out, over the years.

Do you have plans for the exterior too?

• PRO
    Nest Estimating Ltd
    8 days ago

Hi Paul, once you have decided on a layout, we can provide you with a budget cost estimate. The budget cost estimate provides a detailed breakdown of works and expenses as well as highlighting potential areas where you can save money. If this is something of interest please send the plans and photos to hello@nestestimating.co.uk and we can provide you with a quote

• Tania Scott
    7 days ago

What a lovely quirky house! I think first thing I would do would be paint the front door a nice colour, maybe navy blue? keep us updated with your plans!

• Paul Sims
    Original Author
    6 days ago

100% agree. It’s even worse close up ! A kind of milky magnolia. We will certainly be keeping everyone updated. Cheers Paul.

• Paul Sims
    Original Author
    6 days ago

To ED. Thankfully not a huge amount to do exterior wise at the front. Change the door and make good the tiling and railings at present.

• PRO
    colourhappy
    6 days ago

I saw a house similar to this in Penzance a few weeks ago, it was painted a very pale barely there violet and looked stunning.

• Picasso
    yesterday

I'd definitely shift the dining room to the front of the house and have the lounge at the back, leading into the garden.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.