where to tile up to on high ceiling bathroom

Tani H-S

For those following my bathroom saga, we finally had a roof light velux put in to our new bathroom-to-be which now looks like a big tunnel.
It couldn't go nearer to the wall because of a large joist unfortunately.
Anyway, the ceiling is being lowered slightly to put lights in and because it's old lath and plaster so will crack easily in future.
It's about 2.7m high now and so will be about 2.6 when finished.
Because the rooflight makes it feel even taller, I was wondering if the tiles above where the bath will go should finish at the standard 2.4m and I just paint around the top? Will it make it feel more balanced?

• Nicola

Hi Tani,

I'm so glad you've posted this, I can't decide what to do either. Our bathroom (which I STILL have not chosen tiles for) is the same height as yours with a skylight. I was originally thinking maybe 2m/2.2m to go up to the showerhead (whatever height that goes too). I think it will look okay and saves money on tiles!

• Tani H-S

Hi!
    Well I've had this room to do for 2 years and I'm still struggling with tiles 😱
    In fact I had a mini melt down yesterday about it as I have decision fatigue 🤣 but also because I was having a mare with painting some skirting and it all got on top of me.
    Husband came home to see me painting a hall door whilst sobbing in a high pitched tone, ha ha ha.

So today we went tile shopping and found some huge concrete style tiles which are double what I wanted to really spend but I'm still only 90% sure.

What sort of look are you going for? And colour scheme and room layout? Have you started a thread on it as I couldn't see one in your posts.

If I go with the plain light grey tiles she said its sleeker tiling floor to ceiling in the wet area then carrying it at last half way on the wc/sink wall.
    It would be nice to do all over but these are £40 SQM which is more than our budget so I'm still half looking 😬

Help me liven up my bathroom DIY style (on an interim basis)

Sounds like you are getting some good advice. I would recommend before you hang pictures you check the tone/hue of the blue you are going to introduce. If the grey in the bathroom is a warm grey, then you will be introducing a cool colour that may make the room look flat. All greys have a base colour for example yellow, purple, green etc. If you can define the base colour of your tiles you will be able to accessorize more appropriately. Using a range of face cloths in a multitude of colours is one easy way of checking which colour works well in your bathroom. John Lewis have a kaleidoscope of self coloured (and patterned) inexpensive towels, you can simply return the ones you don't want. Buying on line saves time and hassle and I think is free if you spend over £50. Keeping your palette to an odd number of colours ie 3/5/7 will help. You already have white and grey, so adding one or 3 more colours would be a good rule of thumb. Good luck and have fun!

Very high bathroom window dressing

I really think it's a great basis for a lovely bathroom as it is. Here's what I would change to make it into the lovely, relaxed and luxurious space you're aiming for: roman blinds, change the photo frame for framed art with green tones in it, change the mirror for a larger and more elaborate one, find a small cart/trolley that holds towels and the items for daily use that are now on the little planchet. If you have space for that? There are very narrow ones that might work?

NEW BUILD: Master bathroom, Ensuite & Family bathroom

I'm glad that they are all different from each other, with a bit of character in each. I'm working on 5 bathrooms in a house now - the client instructed me because her architect designed every one of the 5 bathrooms with the same colours and fittings.www.saralevydesigns.com

help! Where to put mosaic tiles in bathroom

the original plan was between sink and mirror EXACTLY imetre and then a STRIP above the mirror to the ceiling but the builder says you won't see it so high up as it's tiles up to 2 40 metres. An extra 3-4 tiles. and if I don't do it underneath the sink will look weird. another 4 titles. not in the budget I'm afraid. any other ideashowi can use about 8 tiles of 30x30???
  • Sarah U-S

Hi Tani, we have similar heights in our house and I’ll be honest - we’ve had both of your ideas! The first time we overhauled what we had inherited - and we retiled to just above the shower head. This was partly because we were simply improving what was already there but mainly because of cost. Last year we did a full refit and decided to go all the way up to the ceiling (we had slightly more cash 😂). Both solutions worked well - as long as they are nice tiles and are fitted well, both can look good (and visitors won’t notice - they will just see nice tiles that have been fitted well).

• Tani H-S

I guess it depends as well what colour you plan on painting any walls around it and if the wall paint clashes ie if you are going with a white scheme and even a feature wall that works with white then the painting top will blend in well.

Thanks @Sarah. Good to know it works both ways!

Pick an existing line and tile up to it..... either the door height or just above the shower screen

• Gloria GR

My bathroom is 2.7 and tiles go to door height

• Tani H-S

Hi Gloria,
    Lovely bathroom!

Did you do them door height because it looked better or just to save on tile cost?
    Guess if yours are white then the wall colour doesn't stand out too much from it so it's opt obvious anyway

• Tani H-S

@Nicola oh do feel free to hijack my thread - it might help me! lol!. Have you got some pics of what you are planning with the layout etc??

I finally ordered my sink today as decided to save money and build a floating shelf with ply and tile it like we did our en-suite. Got the brushed gold tap and bottle trap etc as well and hoping they match and also match the shower colour. It's hard buying online!!

I think I will start the tiles lower down then as that will flow into the rest of the walls and also hopefully make it feel less high. Usually I love high ceilings but not in a box room!

- tile wise - i like the hexagon idea - i think because i like the way you can just end them randomly.

My plan is to decide on the main tiles and get that done then I will decide on the basin tiles and floor tiles after as we aren't in a rush and can still use the room without the tiled floor in.

• Neasa

I also have a ceiling height of 2.7m in my bathroom. We went up to the ceiling, but only in the immediate area of the bath. Around the rest of the room, the tiles come up above the sink level. I think it would look slightly random having the tiles end lower. Mind you, I have a very particular preference - if I'm having cupboards, I want them full height, if I'm having curtains I want them full length. Stands to reason I would tile all the way up! Your mileage may vary.

Tani H-S thanked Neasa
  • berrecka

Hi Tani,
    Not sure if this is any help, but here's what we did. Our ceilings are 2.6m high. We had originally planned to tile the shower walls, but then I thought about our 2 small boys splashing about in the bath, so decided to tile half way up a long the length of our bath wall. Every other evening, when I'm drenched through and the bathroom is like a swimming pool with more water outside the bath than I put in, I'm glad I did. For me, it would have been too much vusually to continue the tiles to ceiling height along this whole wall.

Tani H-S thanked berrecka
  • Gloria GR

Hi Tani, we did that for a better look. We have similar solutions in the rest of the house because the ceilings are quite high. We create a line at 2.2 or 2.3m. The wall colour is off-white (there’s a little bit of grey).

• Nicola

Hi Tani,

Haha well okay then! It all started with concrete dreams, but then I was thinking of adding a bit more colour and having a bit more fun in the family bathroom with patterned floor. (I've just ordered samples of sage green geometric tiles from Mandarin Stone). Shower/bath walls maybe light concrete or white hexagon or a smaller tile (not metro!), but not sure how these will go with patterned tiles colour wise. I also really love terrazzo tiles but my husband is not keen! Samples also on their way!

Three quite different styles and I love them all equally! ARGH!

I think I've decided on layout and are going for shower over bath so we can make our en-suite a little bigger! Not sure whether to have that little kick in the wall for some wall shelves, or keep the wall straight! the bath wall is 1.9m and kicks out to 2.1m as per the plans.

• Tani H-S

@Nicola re your bath ledge - it depends if you go for a shower at the end of the bath or central ie if your shower is to the left then a ledge where your head would go when having a bath would be handy for toiletries.

Terazzo tiles are a love hate thing but I would definitely go funky on the floor if having concrete walls.

I did read that lots of little tiles on a large wall can make the space feel smaller but I think white tiles with pale grout are the exception.

Interested to see what you go for 😁

• Nicola

The showerhead is going on the wall with the toilet and keep the ledge on the right. Sorry, I wasn't very clear, I was talking about the wall with the door on, I've knicked some space from the hallway to push that wall out but I'm not certain if I will keep it that way!

These are the samples I'm waiting on! Deciding which bits to tile is going to be the next challenge! haha.

• Tani H-S

Ah understood now. Your room is larger than ours and our door opens so the basin will face you when you walk in and the door hides the WC as opens to the left. The depth is about 1.8m from door to basin back wall which seems to be plenty of space but depends on the sink unit size you want and if pinching the space from the hall causes issues.

The geometric tiles are nice and funky. Does your OH like those over the terrazzo tiles?

• Tani H-S

@berrecka thank you - yes the images are very helpful. Your bathroom is huge! haha. It does look good with the full and half tiled walls. Did you carry the half tiling around all the walls?

It was suggested we could get away with just half tiling the wc/sink wall and leave the other 2 as one will have the towel rad on so would look weird half tiled and the other is the end wall with nothing on it.

• Linds F

This has made me think of the shower room we are doing..i was thinking half tiling but would look odd with the towel rail on...maybe best to keep plain!

• berrecka

Anyone else getting "@null" when folks are directing comments at others? Im not sure if your question about tiling the rest was directed at me, Tani, but those were the only parts of the bathroom we tiled, other than the pockets and window surround.

• Tani H-S

Berrecka - ah that was aimed at you and I've seen this null thing before! How weird, lol! 🙈

Thanks for confirming re the rest of the tiling. We will just stick to the one wall then for half tiled as don't think it all needs to be done

• berrecka

That last pic I posted makes me realise my mirror is hung too high! We should really bring the bottom in line with the bottom of the pocket, shouldn't we? Funny how I only noticed this when looking at a photo of it!

• Tani H-S

Oh yes! See what you mean. Or with the top of the window 😉

• Nicola

Hi Tani, yes he does like them thankfully! Hopefully, I do too! Haha! Might try sneak the terrazzo to the W/C downstairs.

Have you got any closer to deciding on your tiles?

• Tani H-S

@Nicola (Nicola)

well we went to a new local tile shop the other day and she persuaded me to stick with the giant tiles, but still tiling them as brickwork effect. I saw an amazing concrete one that was a nice colour, wasn't patchy but was out of our budget (£40sqm)!! eek. My OH just said to order them as he knows how stressed I have been trying to find something I like, LOL.

There were some other lovely ones but in the wrong shape ie 600's which I don't like on the wall personally.

I haven't ordered them yet but they are typically special order so I my tiler is coming to measure today so I can be sure to have enough.

Hence my questions about where to tile to as we are trying to save money, haha.

I was going to do the floor as well so it all runs through but I think it will need some pattern/oomph in the room with all grey tiles.

These are the ones in the Gris colour. They have lovely veining running through them which I like. https://www.geotiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/CATALOGO-CARNABY-Baja.pdf

• Tani H-S

thinking of something like these for floor tiles. There was one I loved that @minnie101 had shown me in another thread but it's discontinued and I can't find it anywhere (even did a google image search! lol). Or a funky black/white unusual pattern. Just have to find some now! Would have vinyl as well which opens up options...

• Nicola

Tani those concrete ones are soooo dreamy, and they're rectified! (I like small grout lines, I might need to copy you on those).

Love those ones for the floor too, I sawthese on Easy Bathrooms, but they have more of white background than grey, but same pattern. I am sure I have seen then somewhere else too, will have a think!

• Tani H-S

Now I've learned what rectified means 🤣 Yes invisible grout lines are the best 😁

Oh I like those tiles you shared as they look like a washed out black? Might be a better colour as black is too stark so I would ideally like a charcoal grey so it's not as harsh.

• Nicola

Yeah, they're not a solid. Worth ordering a sample. If your tiler is nice, he can maybe order then with trade discount for you? I think they do 50% off for trade off the full RRP.

• Tani H-S
    last modified: 7 days ago

aw he doesn't have an account with them. shame.

• Nicola

Aww, maybe asked super nicely if can set one up! haha. I had another look on other websites but the EasyBathrooms ones are the closest ones to the ones you posted.