dtunes

New Quartz Countertop Destroyed?

Adam

Hey there! I recently had my new kitchen installed and opted for pure white countertops by "Quarella" which is a popular option with Silestone where I live.
When the stone arrived, it had a great sheen to it and was almost like a mirror, but after the fitters had finished I began to see some round marks on it where there was little shine and smear marks all round the edges. Despite cleaning it thoroughly with the product they recommended, they wouldn't go away.
So the fitters came back and started to use different products to get rid of the stains and instead made it worse by staining the whole centre of the countertop and leaving a big matte are, as can be seen in my first photo. I asked what had happened and they told me that it must be the material because they always use thinner to clean quartz with no problems. This surprised me as I would have thought paint thinners would be corrosive on stone.
So later they returned with a machine to polish it out and now insist it is perfect and quartz is meant to look like that. I, however, still see shadows and smears and am not happy with it, but they insist that there is nothing there. The current state of the new countertops are is in the other photos.
I am really disappointed with how it looks, especially considering how much it cost and how hard I had to work to save up for it, and would really like to know if it really is normal, if there is any way to repair it or if the only solution is for me to push for them to replace it. It was such hard work getting it up here too as the island is 10 foot by over 3 foot and had to come up on a platform with paid permits.
Would really appreciate any advice or experience with this, as it has turned into a complete nightmare. Thanks in advance!