anca_rizescu

Updating the kitchen in our 1940 new home

Anca Rizescu
6 years ago

Hi, we just bought a pre-war home and need to update our 1990s galley kitchen. I decided not to play with the walls, so it will be strictly an update. We are moving into the house just before the New Year, and I am working with a local kitchen shop that was recommended by a friend.

What I am looking to achieve: a kitchen with a simple, yet sophisticated look, that goes well with the style of the home. I don't have a budget, but don't want to go crazy on it either... This is a home in an affluent neighborhood, so I need to be mindful of that.

White (or off white cabinets) - Merillat is the brand this small shop has offered, quartz counter-tops (some light gray would be nice, I think?), tile backslash (maybe white, a bit of shine or shimmer to it?), 36" range... I want some of the cabinets to have a bit of glass w/ the crossed design on top of the glass, to match the breakfast nook windows. Have no idea what to do for the hood. Cabinet hardware should match the stove I think? Chrome, or brushed nickel? What style? Not sure... Flooring? square tile or 12 x 24 rectangular tile?

Any suggestions you can offer, I would be very grateful. What style Merillat cabinets to choose? What color exactly? Cotton? Chiffon? Any suggestions on what to do, what not to do, I would really appreciate it.

Comments (29)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.