webuser_22552069

Master bedroom / ensuite advice

Emma J
3 years ago

Hello, I am looking for some advice on how to improve the layout of our new house, in particular the master bedroom which at the moment we really don't like very much. The previous owners added an ensuite to the corner but the resulting effect is just a huge box that feels like it takes up half the room, particularly as it butts right up to the window and leaves the other side of the room really dark.

The current max dimensions of the room are 4.26m x 3.96m and the width of the ensuite is 1.4m (the shower occupies the space where the word "ensuite" is written). The solution that I am currently envisioning is reducing the ensuite in width to 1.2m so that it doesn't go right up to the window and then extending the wall all the way across to create a walk in wardrobe next to it.

My concerns about this are mainly that the bed has to go on the wall with the small window and is therefore just facing a blank wall with 2 doors on it. We do like to have a TV in the bedroom which at the moment we have on a chest of drawer where the current void is so we would like to factor this in too. My partner doesn't like the bed being right next to the door but I don't really see an alternative to that.

Extending over the garden room isn't really an option as this has an oak framed vaulted roof.

Any innovative ideas would be extremely welcome!

Comments (14)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.