aatifa_jamil

To knock through or not? Kitchen layout help!

A J
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I live in a period property, initially were thinking of extending but have decided against- worried it may ruin the character of the property. We have plenty of space but possibly need to reconfigure the layout a bit to make it more practical for us as a family. Current kitchen is ā€˜Uā€™ shaped- I hate it! Desperate for an island. We have temporarily placed a table and chairs in the kitchen which is lovely as we all eat together as a family now but itā€™s far too tight. We dont seem to ever eat in the actual dining room as itā€™s across the hallway and a faff to take food over. I have attached the original plan and various options. So should I go for:

Option1: L-shaped kitchen with island and seating. No Knock through to the front

option2: L Shape kitchen with island and knock through to front creating a kitchen- diner.

option 3: galley style kitchen with reduced depth units one side, no island seating and creating doors where the window is- this will allow the whole space to open up to the garden and allow more light but will be a lot more expensive and not sure itā€™s entirely worth it (window is pretty big already)

Picture of current kitchen also attached

Any suggestions would be gratefully received! :)

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ā€˜Acceptā€™ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ā€˜Manage Preferencesā€™.