elizabeth_rademacher

Crown moulding and stained baseboard

living room grey wall with baseboard and crown window trim

This is a view of the”dark doors” and crown moulding I’m redoing

Corner of accent wall blue and grey lamp and end table are rustic oak

picture below is the lower corner where you can see everything together floor baseboards and white trim

quick background my husband and I have been slowly remodeling/updating our 100+ year old farmhouse. Recently we had new floors put in and I’m stumped! The home has a beautiful thick crown moulding but it’s super dark and dated. It’s been striped once by my mother in law ( we purchased my husbands family home) I always hateed the idea of painting it thinking it would make it look cheap. Once I realized my “painting techniques“ needed improvement and wood can actually be painted AND look nice I warmed up to the idea. After we had the floors put in and a barnished/rustic oak baseboard I then decided to paint the crown🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️! Honestly I only stained the baseboards in a pinch because our install was unexpectedly moved up almost 2 weeks to 3 days after Christmas! So this is my question/s

Are stained baseboards and white crown a absolute no...and yes I know it’s my house so what I want😀 but I also want it to look nice and cohesive. I’m not good and ”visualizing“ the room and putting together decor! I’m more of a hey that’s a cool color and going with it, as I’ve gotten older and it’s gotten better but I’m by no means any good.

I struggle with wanting to keep it “farmhouse” with out going to modern. I’m not a huge fan of the super contemporary modern look and it definitely doesn’t fit the house.

Ok now besides the moulding and baseboard conundrum I also need to replace my interior doors. keeping with the trim being white and baseboards stained what color

option would everyone recommend for the doors. I’m not going crazy fancy probably a general paneled or craftsman interior door. We have kept with grey/ blue color pallet that I’ve carried through the main level. For instance my laundry room is a nautical blue with white crown and baseboard, my kitchen is a mid grey with blue undertones the trim is a honey oak from

when it was updated in the mid 90’s (thats the summer project) main bath is a a darker blue with grey undertones with grey crown/basboards and I’m currently getting ready to start our entry foyer and family room. Our master bedroom is a beautiful cream our bedroom set is a distressed grey .

Im not oppsed to painting the baseboards white but I do have a few nice future pieces with the rustic oak color that I feel “pull it together”

So recap i apologize for such a lengthy post!

1- baseboards stained crown white... yes or no

2. if I did by chance paint the baseboards white would it make it to overly modern?

3 doors and I have a ton of them with white trim around what would be a nice door color? Painted or possible a similar stain to baseboards?

4. Last of all im wanting to add a corner electric fireplace in our main living room for supplemental heat especially with our cold Michigan winters and a drafty farmhouse. I want something a little more appealing than a space heater and a piece to round out the room under our television Ive found one I love and want to order but im

hesitant because it comes in white, espresso and dark walnut surprisingly the espresso appears significantly lighter than the walnut and in many reviews other buys said it was more of a

cherry color. So I keep going back and forth the espresso looks nice but something about it just seems off and the white is beautiful but again not sure if white would be too much. Oh please give this lost girl some direction or opinions! I certainly appreciate it

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.