michael_houlihan

How to configure our new living space - 1850s property in Greenwich!?

Michael Houlihan
3 years ago

Hi all,

Would love to get some advice on this.

We have just about completed an extension to our home in Greenwich, London.

It's an 1850s semi-detached property - 3 stories, and the main purpose of the extension was to create a larger living space at the bottom with an extension into the garden.

All of the structural work is done - still to do patio, etc...

... but we are now trying to figure out exactly what to put where.

Attached is the floorplan for the whole bottom floor, which included the architect's thoughts on how to arrange things. The main entrance to the house is in the bottom left of that picture. And the main space we are trying to figure out is the upper right section (leading to the garden on the right of the picture).

And 3 photos now it's real!

Picture 1) Is from where you enter - looking ahead to what we imagined to be the dining space (with a dining table in place now underneath some great roof lights)

Picture 2) Is from taking a few steps forward and turning left. we are thinking about putting a custom unit against that big wall, which could be a bookshelf on the left, and a reading type zone. And then on the other side of the column a TV unit (including + framing a TV hung on the wall - above where it currently is)

Picture 3) is then turning to the right from the same space, but looking out to the garden. We will likely get a new sofa, and one option is to have a long one as you can see here. Plus some other seats to be able to take in the garden.

The space for the main living space is about 7m.

Ideally we would have some different 'zones'.

i) the main area with sofa inc. for watching telly.

ii) Another zone to enjoy the garden.

iii) Possibly a third zone which is more the reading nook (under the bookshelf).

Floor plan

Photo 1:

Photo 2:

Photo 3:

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.