louise_sharp

Seeking inspiration for awkward space

Louise
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We have an awkward space in our first floor bedroom which I would value some thoughts on what we do with. The property is 15th century, and the exposed brickwork is the main chimney stack running up through the centre of the house. The tie beam has been cut and braced to make way for a door through to a shower room. Behind the tie beam is a shelf, which I'm generally using for my personal bits and bobs.

We think the fireplace was used at some point, but it would have to have been via a flue into the main chimney stack - it looks like some bricks have been replaced behind where the basket currently sits).

The fireplace has been used for unsightly storage of boxes and spare suitcase for a few years but I've just cleared it all out and now wondering what to do to make best use of the space - we don't intend to reinstate a fire (particularly as the property is thatched!) As always in old cottages, storage is greatly lacking so thinking of just having some cupboard doors made for the fireplace. Any other thoughts would be most appreciated.

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.