gary_whapples

Bland 1970's terrace house - nothing to work with?

Gary Whapples
3 years ago

Hi and thanks in advance for any help its appreciated. I have this rather bland looking house actually built 1968 and I just want to give it some kerb-side appeal but I feel totally governed by several factors.

1. These houses don't have much to work with from the start. The only feature is the ugly bolt on PVC porch which now has sellotape adhesive stuck all over it, yellowed panels and gaps in the seals. That thing has got to go, but what do I replace it with? I liked the idea of a half-height brick porch in a lighter shade to match the buttress either side but I found form neighbours that doing this can either cause it to be colder and cause damp or seriously impose on the interior. (think 70mm PVC frame vs 300mm cavity brick + plaster) So I wonder if the only thing to do is buy another PVC porch?

2. I am in a row of terrace houses and everyone looks the same. I don't really want to drastically change the front white paneling or brickwork so that it looks totally out of place with the neighbours so I think the best I can do there is tidy it up as best as possible and grow a nice dwarf hedge under the front of the window.

3. Windows - the only thing left. I live in an otherwise very attractive town with stunning georgian and amazing Victorian houses. I think that's what torments me. ( I have acquired this house through family if you are wondering why I have it, I also cannot sell it) Window wise, i wish I could pull off georgian windows or maybe arts and crafts diamond leaded type but I just don't think the house could pull it off. I think the safest thing would be just newer fresher windows with only the vertically opening casements and not the horizontal ones for a cleaner look.

4. The garden i feel I can always do something with - even if its growing plants to cover up the house - plan b lol.

I dont mean to offend anyone if this is your taste but I do not like the render and grey windows look which 60's housing often gets treated to. In the past decade lots of wealth has come to town and the owners have been carefully and tastefully restoring their victorian or edwardian homes to suit the period (as per 95% of pintrest content) - I just wish that was me.

Comments (25)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.