blushingpixie

Patio/Garden Layout Confusion

blushingpixie
3 years ago

Quite a few issues going on with our garden. You'll see a large yard at the back of the house, we plan on knocking the retaining walls and bringing the grass up to the house.
We would like to build a patio but are flummoxed as to where it should go.
I've marked on the map BD indicating where our current back door is (to the extreme right of the house). To the left of the back door is the kitchen which has french doors leading out into the garden. However this side of the house doesn't get sun so we are loath to place a patio directly outside the french doors and instead plan on running the same basic driveway pebble we will be using at the front of the house around to the back in a thin-ish strip (but of course this idea could be subject to change).
We had thought about putting a patio at X but when seated there would be an ugly view of the septic tank. We think if we keep a part of the retaining wall we could potentially build a planter to disguise the view.
If we put the patio at Y, we would have an ugly view of the cars and washing line but also the Granny flat is not fitted out and is currently used as a shed with a full view of all the crud inside.
We are not sure whether the view of X or Y will look better when viewed from the kitchen and how they will relate to the house. Or even if the patio should go at X or Y at all.
Any views or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as we are going around in circles. and can't see our way out.
Thank you.

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.