scarlett_swallow23

Reconfiguring Victorian ground floor - creative ideas needed

Scarlett Swallow
3 years ago

Hi all!

Very excitingly we started the groundworks this week for a ground floor wraparound extension to our Victorian semi-detached house. However, we have still not found an internal layout we're wholly happy with.

This is the floorplan with no internal layout marked up. Seems like there should be a lot of space!

And this is the best we have come up with so far for the internal layout.

While we know we have to compromise on some things, I still feel there is quite a lot of underused space here while other key areas are cramped, and I'm sure there must be a better option.

What I don't like about this layout:

- Only entrance to the house is through the snug/playroom. This will be an assault course of toys during the day to navigate (we have two young boys).

- The next section is where the roof lights are, yet this space is really underused so basically a well lit corridor.

- Shower room blocks out a key view to the garden

- the kitchen is a LONG way from the playroom/snug. Young children are limpets, I can already see they would move all their toys into the kitchen to be close to us. ,

- Only access to the living room and stairs is through the kitchen. Not a huge deal, but a bit annoying.

Please please can someone have a better idea than this!

Here is our existing floor plan, and also the new floor plan with dimensions:

Ideally we wanted to utility and shower room in the old middle room, however due to shallow drains we have to have the toilet on the left side of the house. We only have one bathroom with the one toilet at the moment, and plan to stay in this house for a long time so we simply must squeeze in the second bathroom.

We access the house through the back garden so we do need to have storage for coats and hats in this part too.

Many thanks

Scarlett

Comments (16)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.