huban

new kitchen in a 200 year old house - please critique options

huban
3 years ago

hi All,

We just bought a 200-year-old fixer-upper, and we would like to renovate the kitchen.

The size of the original kitchen is 510cmX260cm.

The kitchen is reachable from a hallway which is the main entrance from a patio. From the kitchen, one can access the dining room. We were thinking of removing the wall between the kitchen and dining room, but it is a structural wall and prohibitively expensive.

One option is to leave the kitchen layout more or less as is, and do a gallery kitchen, but this would not allow any room for a small sitting/breakfast area. The dining room is next door, but I don't like the idea of having to go to sit down in the dining room to drink my morning espresso.

The second option would be to remove the hallway wall (non-structural) between the kitchen and hallway. But this would make the kitchen the entry of the house. This would allow for an approx. 395cm wide and 510cm long space. In this space we could perhaps put one row of cabinets against the dining room wall and an island with sitting from the hallway side, but no other cabinets against the hallway wall.

The sink will have to stay on the window wall, due to the plumbing/evacuation.

The range cooker could move, but on the wall where currently is, it is the chimney and would make sense to leave in on this wall.

Should we just go with a gallery kitchen and no breakfast sitting, or remove the hallway wall and make the kitchen more spacious, with an island at the expense of becoming the entry of the house?

Can you please give us some recommendations?

Comments (21)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.