webuser_299566336

Alternative to flat roof for 5m rear extension

Gemluv100
2 years ago

I have plans submitted for a 5m rear extension, which have been objected to by my neighbour and the parish council (property is in a conservation area so they have a right to have a say and therefore the application is going to a Development Management committee).

The objection is based on the roof being too high (3.3m which is a flat roof including parapet) and too deep (1m beyond the rear of the neighbouring property). The roof is just how the architect designed it, I had no preference and they said this was the best option.

The plans have, however, been recommended for approval by the local council (they have no problem with it, nor does the Design & Conservation committee).

Plans for a 5m extension on a property 3 doors down was approved recently but their roof was designed as a flat roof with faux pitch all the way round (I don't believe I would consider this, as it would mean losing internal space due to bringing the wall in to make room for guttering etc so rain doesn't run into next door).

So, although my current plans may well get through, I'm inclined to change the roof to appease the neighbours and parish council as I don't really mind what the roof looks like!

With that in mind, I was thinking of having a roof that is pitched to 4m, that transitions to a flat roof for the final metre (image attached as reference) - has anyone got any experience with this or are there any other suggestions anyone has for an alternative?!

Apologies for the long winded tale! Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.