matthew_thom

New windows with mock tudor house query.

Matty T
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi all,

I have noticed how great some of the helpful responses have been when people have asked for some inspiration with their house upgrades and updates. So, I'm hoping you may be able to assist us with some inspiration as well.

We moved in to our mid-nineties house a year ago and have been focussing on the inside mainly. This is now finally getting there but soon we will be looking at changing the windows.

Currently, the windows are all brown timber which, to be fair, have been well maintained by the previous owners but are starting to reach the end of their life. We also don't like the brown, especially on the inside (which I appreciate could be painted). Anyway, we now intend to change the windows.

The insides of the windows will be white so that's easy. However, it's the outside colour which we are less certain about. The brown is going whatever happens.

We have changed the front door (as the old one did not feel remotely secure) and we have gone for a pebble grey (RAL 7032) door and frame by the English Door Company. We think the door works with the brown features on the house such as the pillar outside and the mock tudor boards etc. However, we are less certain about whether it would still work if we change the windows to this colour as well. Do also note that the mock tudor is only on the front of the house. The sides and back of the house are just brick.

I know some people prefer for a front door to be a different colour to the windows but I am less worried about that. So, what do people think - pebble grey windows or something else?

Also, do we leave the mock tudor boards brown along with the fascias and so forth or do we change the colour on these as well? If so, what colour do people think would work?

Budget constraints may mean we can't afford to change the boards and fascias at the same time as the windows but won't know until we start getting quotes and also once we have decided what we actually want.

Any suggestions would be welcome as we are looking for inspiration and struggling a little.

I did see someone had posted a not dissimilar house with grey(ish) windows and garage doors and I thought it worked. I also thought it may work even better against brown rather than black mock tudor of this house. Photo of the other house below from a previous post on this site.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.