katpic

where to start on major kitchen renovation (designer or no designer)?

Kathleen Picard
10 years ago
we are planning a kitchen remodel. we will gut the kitchen. we know the basic footprint but have not yet decided on design details (wood type, cabinet style, hardware, cabinet finish, ceiling treatment, window treatment, cabinet organization, island style, edging on counter stone, stone choices). we have gotten several estimates from contractors (including one from an architect/contractor). My husband and i are disagreement on whether or not we need to bring in a designer. I think we need a design schematic in order to get a reliable quote, as the details of the design will impact the price and might drive up our quote once we get in to laying out the details. my husband (and the many who have given us a quote) feel we have done a lot of homework, looked at lots of pictures etc and feel we can just get right to it and make decisions with the architect as he lays out the 3D. I worry we will get a mish-mash of mixed design styles and not an over all cohesive, balanced design. I worry about making unilateral design decisions....I don't want decide on one finish without knowing where I am going with the other (as and example - island style & finish vs perimeter cabinets style & finish). Being that we want the kitchen to set the tone for the rest of the house (it is an open kitchen that really will be the heart of the house and we also plan to do so renovation in adjoining rooms down the way, that surely we want to work with the kitchen style we go with). we have a mediterranean style house and want that influence inside the home without going overboard (want a high end look, with a nod to old world, along with some coastal influences, but primarily traditional - with no real idea how to pull this off!) we plan to spend about $80-$100K so I do not want any regrets. What would be a reasonable fee for a design schematic? Am i correct to insist on a professional designer to help us? I do not want any regrets down the road.
thanks for your opinion(s).
Kat

Comments (16)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.