rosy_w3

What Lies Beneath..? Original floor of 1920s ex Council house

Rosy W
2 years ago

Hello,

This feels like a long shot but does anyone know what the original flooring would have been in my ex Council house in BR1? It was built around 1924 I believe. It has tatty, cheap-looking laminate flooring that I'd like to replace but I don't want to embark on anything without knowing what I'm dealing with.

Thank you!

Rosy

Comments (5)

• Rick Bruce
    2 years ago

my 1930s house is just concrete i think.

• User
    2 years ago

Do you have airbricks on the outside walls below floor level? If so, you most likely have floorboards.

• Sonia
    2 years ago

My 1934 house has pine floorboards under my flooring.

• Sonia
    2 years ago

I just read a blog that in the 1920s flooring was solid oak in that period. Wow!

• Rosy W
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! Imagine if there was solid oak under this tatty laminate! Somehow it seems unlikely, with it having been public housing. The story goes that they were running out of money to finish this estate which is why a lot of the attics were not divided up, ie, no party walls between them. There are a couple of airbricks in the front wall at what would be below floor level so that's exciting. I've no idea what to do next!

Thanks again.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.