nikki_stevenson59

Proposed narrow kitchen layout

Nikki Stevenson
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello all,

I'm looking for some alternative layout suggestions for my quite long and narrow kitchen dinner. Works haven't started yet so still in the design stage and may well use a recommended professional from this site but wanted to initially see how far I could get before going to the professionals to add another dimension (I have Karen @ OnePlan in mind but open to lots of recommended).

The room when knocked through will be 8.5m (L) x 3.2m (W) and will lead out to patio/french/bifold doors to the garden.

I know the idea of an island is controversial with the width of the room but I am happy to sacrifice having units along two walls and just have a single run of units with an island in the middle, and nothing on the opposing wall. I have managed to hit the golden 1m rule between island and wall units with the fridge/freezer and ovens being away from the island run. The plan doesn't show it but there would be a venting hob on the island, along with a dishwasher and wine cooler on either end.

My biggest bug bear at the moment is trying to get the units at the entrance doorway wall to be symmetrical. On the left (where the units run is) I have placed the fridge and freezer in a kind of corner set up, and to the right of the doorway would be cupboards hiding the washing machine and tumble (stacked) and also a small broom cupboard. I don't know if the fridge and freezer would work in terms of opening and closing, I can't picture if they would come into contact with each other or not, I know it would be tight. The alternative would be to place the fridge and freezer next to each other on that wall but then I wouldn't get the symmetry that I'm after with the utilities the other side of the doorway.

The other end towards the patio doors would house a dining table, maybe as a standalone or maybe as part of banquet seating along the right hand wall, with a TV on the opposite wall as I'd like the kitchen to be a place we could spend whole evenings in and also to entertain in.

I'm hoping this makes sense and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Picture attached of an online 3D planner I've mocked up.

Many thanks in advance

Comments (36)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.