jocave

Flooring dilemmas

JC
2 years ago

Hi
I’m struggling to decide on my flooring. I am intending to switch round the kitchen and bathroom and remove the wall and stub between the current loo and bathroom to become a walk through kitchen (semi open plan). At the moment I have parquet in the second bedroom, hall corridor and living room. Also turns out there is parquet under the vinyl in the kitchen, loo and bathroom. The open areas are very yellow looking. It’s a soft pine and would have been put in in the late 40s so fairly damaged/dented in places. Too much to fully sand out. Every area would need patching as the spare room will have the old cupboard removed and the fire place in the sitting room has gone. Main bedroom has sisal, third bedroom (study) has carpet, planning sisal for the main hall area and marmoleum or something for the new shower room and the ensuite (in old kitchen - parquet can be lifted from here for other areas). My neighbour has just had her parquet sanded and oiled and it hasn’t come up very well. Is the simplest option therefore to lay new flooring over the old parquet? Are there any restrictions? Will that cause too many height changes? Have added photos of floor plan (red dot areas have parquet laid on concrete, yellow dot areas are regular floorboards, blue squiggles are where the concrete walls will be removed), my hallway, my living room entrance, neighbour’s second bedroom and hall corridor after treating, neighbour’s kitchen after treating (which was covered with vinyl). Have tried to keep the post as short as possible - all thoughts/ideas welcome! Maybe patch up spare bedroom and use rugs then focus on something new for the living room? What would you do in the kitchen area? I don’t want tiles anywhere, good at dropping things and like warm underfoot. It feels like rather a minefield!

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.