FIND PROFESSIONALS
mmoloney120872

velvet or leather sofa

Mairead Moloney

Redecorating our living room & going for a grey 4 seater & want to go fit something a little different but can’t decide between navy velvet or blue leather in a cuddle seat. Any advice greatly appreciated 🙏

• Daisy England

I have a fabric sofa in my main home and a leather sofa in my holiday home. I wish I’d never had the leather one. It’s slippery and uncomfortable. For comfort I’d go with the velvet but it also depends if you have pets and chldren as leather is easy to wipe.

colourhappy

I had the Zinc leather chair and foud it slippery and uncomfortable. You may find it different but I wouldn't recommend it.

• Wumi

I have the 4 seater Zinc fabric sofa in teal. It’s so comfortable and has held up very well over the last 3 years. I like the look of velvet but they are lint magnets!

• Mairead Moloney

Thanks so much for your comments. I love them both but hubby thinks the velvet with date 🤷‍♀️ I will have a good think about it. Thanks again 🙏

• Mairead Moloney

Wumi can I ask what colours have you gone with to compliment that lovely colour? We loved the teal as well

Always go for the fabric. Leather can be cold…. Or sweaty…. Or slippy…… or it can fade…..or creaky.

I’m not a fan.

• Wumi
    last modified: 4 months ago

I went with a deep orange on the chimney breast, white everywhere else (we have alot of colourful artwork on the walls), a smaller mustard yellow sofa and wood tones.

Dusky pink accessories also works well.

• Mairead Moloney

Sounds beautiful 👍

• tamp75

The sofa looks very deep in the seat part from front to back. I’d imagine you might need cushions, in which case I’d avoid the leather as cushions will slide all over the place. I also think velvet feels warmer with the grey than leather.

• joanne w

Ho do you have children or pets? i have a velvet sofa in my lounge and one spill by the kids has flattened the pile and the cats love to use it as scratching post! Velvet all the way if you are in an adult household😁

• Mairead Moloney

Hi Joanne
    Yes we have 3 young adults( youngest is 16) & a dog that always heads for the sofa ☺️I love the velvet & I think it will have a warmer feel but just mindful of the practicalities. We have two tan sofas now so we’re used to the leather look & feel but wanted a change to fabric & another alternative as a statement look. Thanks for all your help & advice 👍

• Mairead Moloney

What are your thoughts on cuddle chair or 2 seater? I think the cuddle seat looks nicer?

• Catherine Cox

Probably navy fabric sofa

• Wumi

The cuddler does look nicer. Will this be your statement chair (your main sofa being the 4-seater)? If so, I’d go for a cuddler in a different complementary colour

• Mairead Moloney

Thanks Wumi. Yes was thinking this would be a statement chair. We currently have a 4 & 2 seater, thanks for your advice. Do you have any thoughts on lighting? Do ceiling & wall lights have to match? I like the Harmony range at John Lewis but also lighting the pendant lights, but don’t think they do a wall to match, we have the triple ones in hall & landing. Our ceilings are very low 🙏

• Wumi

I don’t think the wall lights have to match. I quite like the John Lewis one, especially seeing the Instagram photos from customers who have purchased.

• Mairead Moloney

Thanks Wumi really appreciate your feedback 👍