FIND PROFESSIONALS
mmoloney120872

velvet or leather sofa

Mairead Moloney
4 months ago

Redecorating our living room & going for a grey 4 seater & want to go fit something a little different but can’t decide between navy velvet or blue leather in a cuddle seat. Any advice greatly appreciated 🙏

Comments (17)

• Daisy England
    4 months ago

I have a fabric sofa in my main home and a leather sofa in my holiday home. I wish I’d never had the leather one. It’s slippery and uncomfortable. For comfort I’d go with the velvet but it also depends if you have pets and chldren as leather is easy to wipe.

• PRO
    colourhappy
    4 months ago

I had the Zinc leather chair and foud it slippery and uncomfortable. You may find it different but I wouldn't recommend it.

• Wumi
    4 months ago

I have the 4 seater Zinc fabric sofa in teal. It’s so comfortable and has held up very well over the last 3 years. I like the look of velvet but they are lint magnets!

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks so much for your comments. I love them both but hubby thinks the velvet with date 🤷‍♀️ I will have a good think about it. Thanks again 🙏

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Wumi can I ask what colours have you gone with to compliment that lovely colour? We loved the teal as well

• Jonathan
    4 months ago

Always go for the fabric. Leather can be cold…. Or sweaty…. Or slippy…… or it can fade…..or creaky.

I’m not a fan.

• Wumi
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

I went with a deep orange on the chimney breast, white everywhere else (we have alot of colourful artwork on the walls), a smaller mustard yellow sofa and wood tones.

Dusky pink accessories also works well.

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Sounds beautiful 👍

• tamp75
    4 months ago

The sofa looks very deep in the seat part from front to back. I’d imagine you might need cushions, in which case I’d avoid the leather as cushions will slide all over the place. I also think velvet feels warmer with the grey than leather.

• joanne w
    4 months ago

Ho do you have children or pets? i have a velvet sofa in my lounge and one spill by the kids has flattened the pile and the cats love to use it as scratching post! Velvet all the way if you are in an adult household😁

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Hi Joanne
    Yes we have 3 young adults( youngest is 16) & a dog that always heads for the sofa ☺️I love the velvet & I think it will have a warmer feel but just mindful of the practicalities. We have two tan sofas now so we’re used to the leather look & feel but wanted a change to fabric & another alternative as a statement look. Thanks for all your help & advice 👍

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    4 months ago

What are your thoughts on cuddle chair or 2 seater? I think the cuddle seat looks nicer?

• Catherine Cox
    4 months ago

Probably navy fabric sofa

• Wumi
    4 months ago

The cuddler does look nicer. Will this be your statement chair (your main sofa being the 4-seater)? If so, I’d go for a cuddler in a different complementary colour

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks Wumi. Yes was thinking this would be a statement chair. We currently have a 4 & 2 seater, thanks for your advice. Do you have any thoughts on lighting? Do ceiling & wall lights have to match? I like the Harmony range at John Lewis but also lighting the pendant lights, but don’t think they do a wall to match, we have the triple ones in hall & landing. Our ceilings are very low 🙏

• Wumi
    4 months ago

I don’t think the wall lights have to match. I quite like the John Lewis one, especially seeing the Instagram photos from customers who have purchased.

• Mairead Moloney
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks Wumi really appreciate your feedback 👍

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.