eunibun

What directions to lay engineered wood floor boards?

Euni O
2 years ago

Hi There, We are replacing carpet with engineered wood on the 2nd floor of our house. We have a small house. The second floor has 2 bedrooms, and a bathroom, all connected with a landing from the stairs. We are keeping the tiles in the bathroom. So the engineered wood will go in the landing space, and in the two bedrooms. The landing space from the stairs is small. Both bedrooms are long and skinny.

Laying the floor boards aligning the planks parellel to the longest wall of the bedrooms. But that means from the stairs to the landing, the planks will be perpendicular against the stairs.

Laying the floor boards opposite from the above, which is aligning the planks so that it leads from bedroom to bedroom. However, the planks will then be perpendicular to the longest wall of the bedrooms.

I also read light source should determine the direction of the planks. The windows are only on one side of the bedroom as we have a townhouse/terrace house.

If anyone can please shed some light on this matter, that would be great. I feel like either way, there are pros and cons, but just wanted to see if I can get some tips/advice.

FYI, our house is under 5 years, quite new. We don't have sagging joists. For the stairs, we are keeping the carpet as it for now. With every choice I want to consider not only each individual room but also my entire floor plan of the 2nd floor. I want the flooring to look cohesive as I move from landing space to the bedrooms.

Here's a quick video of the second floor space. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/uBmW7duM3dA

I also uploaded some photos.

Any advice/tips would be much appreciated, thank you.

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.